How Long Does It Take For A Ramshorn Snail To Be Sexually Mature? Question

Discussion in 'Snails' started by Sheena-Phx, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Sheena-PhxValued MemberMember

I have some Ramshorns that I want to start selling, but want to make sure that I don't get rid of too many. Does anyone know how long it takes a Ramshorn to become sexually mature and start laying eggs? This piece of information would help me greatly. I know they grow at different rates in cold or tropical tanks, but I was hoping someone had some personal experience with both because I am raising them in both as well. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much in advance!

2. DemeterFishlore VIPMember

The more food provided the faster they grow and more they reproduce. I would say when they are about a centimeter in diameter, a little less even, they can breed. In the best conditions, 1.5-2 months old has been my experience.

3. Sheena-PhxValued MemberMember

@Demeter, this is amazing news. Thank you for your expertise. It is very appreciated. I know the more food, the more breeding, I just didn't know the size or age that that would apply to. I will definitely go with the centimeter measurement and keep track of everything better now because of it. Thanks!

4. ELON MOLLUSKValued MemberMember

I’ve been breeding them and studying them for some time. They are believe it or not sexually mature at about a centimeter big. @Demeter is correct and every clutch of eggs laid take roughly 8 to 12 days to hatch. Happy breeding my friend.

5. Sheena-PhxValued MemberMember

6. eustoma01Valued MemberMember

You know what's weird is I never see the eggs laid anywhere but I always see the babies crawling around lol

7. ELON MOLLUSKValued MemberMember

A lot of the time they lay them either near or on the silicon lining of your aquarium.

8. allllienWell Known MemberMember

I've actually just found they can lay eggs at even smaller than 1cm -I had a gold color mutation pop up in my pink and blues, so isolated it in a breeding box hoping to get eggs from it when it got bigger, but I separated it when it was approx. 5-6mm, and it immediately started laying eggs (now up to about 12 or 14 clutches), it also started growing really fast too with lots of food and being kept isolated, but I know for sure it layed 1 egg clutch immediately at 5 -6mm ;)

9. ELON MOLLUSKValued MemberMember

I believe it no doubt lol . Though the clusters are a bit bigger the bigger the snail is.

10. FishcatWell Known MemberMember

If you get more golds I would be interested in buying some from you. Love to see a new color mutation in these guys!

11. ELON MOLLUSKValued MemberMember

The golds really are beautiful here are what a few of mine look like. Not selling atm so not trying to step on any toes lol . I spent months working out these genes and the reason they have a gold appearance is because they have a coating on their shell called periostricum that has a brown like tint and their pale skin shows off the hemoglobin in their blood and the mixture of the 2 give them a gold tint! Hashtag I love snails lol. Hashtag I love malacology lol.

Attached Files:

12. allllienWell Known MemberMember

Yeah definitely ;) Although still got about 10 -12 eggs per cluster :) I was actually expecting smaller clusters than that, like maybe around 4 eggs per cluster. I think the extra food and being isolated definitely helps them 'get to it' lol.

13. allllienWell Known MemberMember

Haha, nice :) Did your's come from red or pink bloodlines? My golden one came from my pink and blues that have never been mixed with red and brown, so not sure if it's a bit different? (I know if you mix them at some point you can get throw-backs pop up, but not the case with mine which is rather interesting). I'm interested to see how it matures, it was honey colored with pink foot when tiny, now looks similar to yours, but I'm sort of expecting it to get a milky look to the shell when it's an adult, like the pink and blues? Not sure, but hoping lol ;)

14. allllienWell Known MemberMember

Where are you located?, I'm in Australia so don't think I could post overseas unfortunately due to quarantine restrictions etc. If I get more gold or other interesting colors pop up I'll definitely keep working on them and have some for sale later on though.

15. FishcatWell Known MemberMember

Unfortunately, I am not in Australia. Darn. Keep putting the pictures up, though, I love seeing them!

16. allllienWell Known MemberMember

No worries, this is my gold one that popped up, it's now about 1.5cm, but this is when it was smaller P4190035.JPGP4190036.JPGP4190039.JPG ).

17. Sheena-PhxValued MemberMember

Thanks so much for the size information. I too have golds. I have mine mixed all together right now, so not sure where it's coming from, but I have regular golds and leopard golds. I love this color! I'm trying to separate different colors into different tanks so I can focus on all the different colors,but so far gold is my favorite! When I get enough I will start selling them. : )

18. allllienWell Known MemberMember

I used to have a tank with a mix of assorted red and browns (standard ones we have here in Australia), this was before we had pink and blue in Australia as the pink and blue are still only fairly new here, but the red and brown put out all shades of red, pale red/peach, golden, golden leopard etc. and everything in between. I always just refer to the them as 'red and brown' because here they come in every shade, but still only have 'red and brown' genetics as such.

The pink and blue are a further mutation of these, which popped in a few countries (or maybe just 1), and were then imported to different countries -but with Australian quarantine being so strict and not allowed to bring in these species, we never had pink and blue here until fairly recently, where I assume someone managed to bring them in illegally.. (I managed to get hold of my first pink about 7 years ago, but was looking for much, much longer).

Our 'old' red and brown here just don't carry pink and blue genetics at all. So to then get a golden from the pink and blues is really a bit of a mystery to me -of course, if you mix a red or brown with pink and blue at any stage (or if they were mixed before you bought them), you will get random red and brown (including golden) pop up from pink and blue, or vice versa.

However my whole pink and blue colony came from a single pink snail that was a baby when I got it, and has only ever bred true pink and blues. The whole colony died out in a pond except for 1 big blue snail which I saved, and restarted my current colony from. Again, only pink and blue genetics. But now after about 7 years, one random mystery golden :D

So, if it's a throwback to the original 'red and brown' genetics that pink and blue mutated from, it seems almost impossible, if not actually impossible, seeing as the red and brown genes have long since been bred out for many years. I tend to think in my case, it's potentially a further color mutation of pink and blue, like pink and blue was to red and brown. It may end up looking exactly the same as the 'genetically red and brown' goldens, but I believe it carries different genetics to those. I'm only speculating though, of course I could be completely wrong, but either way I find it very interesting ;)

Last edited: May 17, 2019 at 10:42 AM