How Long Does It Take For A Dwarf Frog To Shed? Question

Discussion in 'Amphibians' started by Tonpole, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Tonpole

TonpoleNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +15
    I have 4 ADFs, and one of them has been in shed for over a week now. I read online that it could mean they're sick if it's just little bits and pieces of skin constantly coming off, but I'd consider this a real shed since basically her whole layer of skin detached at once.

My concern is it's still on her. I also read that they almost always eat the skin, but I haven't seen her try to do that. I did however see one of my other frogs get a big chunk of her skin and chase her with it in its mouth until it came off and that frog ate it >.>.

I have never kept amphibians or reptiles before, so I have zero experience in identifying and solving shedding issues. I didn't even know until I went "why the heck does my frog look like a ghost" that amphibians shed like reptiles.

Can frogs have stuck shed like terrestrial reptiles? If so, is there anything I can do?

2. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +3,992
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Giving this a bump up for you hope our frog keepers can help answer your question today

3. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +2,380
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I've had that happen. Honestly I can't recall how long the shed hung on for.
    I'm not sure there's much you can do but it.

The frogs won't always eat the shed. If they don't it should be removed from the tank.