How long does everyone quarantine new fish?

Vegetarianpanda

I got some blind cave tetras and wondering how long is recommended to quarantine. I've been medicating with bacterial and fungel treatments. Plus feeding food soaked in garlic extract which I heard can help kill internal parasites. For about a week now. They are active and healthy acting other then minor ammonia poisoning from previous owners which cleared up.

But I heard some people quarantine for 28 days... so not sure.

BigManAquatics

About a month is pretty typical. Symptoms of most things should show up by then. Plus, its plenty of time to treat with stuff like general cure or have ich appear and treat that.

Upvote 0

veggieshark

I do 3 weeks (just based on typical ick cycle), but 28 days is not bad either. I wouldn't medicate unless there are symptoms.

Upvote 0

Vegetarianpanda

I do 3 weeks (just based on typical ick cycle), but 28 days is not bad either. I wouldn't medicate unless there are symptoms.

The medicine I use is a mild herbal one thats safe for inverts and scaless fish so should be fine... normally only treat first 3 days but did a week because the ammonia burns. There 10 years old so was hoping to transfer them as soon as possible since they are so old or so I'm told.
I was told they were getting beat up by their other fish and had a large scratch on one which I think was from there sharp looking decor
About a month is pretty typical. Symptoms of most things should show up by then. Plus, its plenty of time to treat with stuff like general cure or have ich appear and treat that.
I wish I could get general cure but its illegal over here... only ick treatment i have is the API super ick cure

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mimo91088
Replies
Views
Thunder_o_b
Replies
Views
AquaticLeopard
Replies