How Long Does Columnaris Stay In Water?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Jefferys420, Apr 11, 2017.

1. J

Jefferys420 Valued Member Member

How long does it stay in the water after the infection stage is over I've been treating with poly guard and after 10 cardinals 9 rummy nose 3 swords 2 sterbais and 1 male apisto double red I seem to have gotten rid of it but I'm not sure about adding more fish yet should I keep treating for another week just in case ?

2. Ed204

Ed204 Well Known Member Member

Doing a 50% water change should do it.
    Also, when you get new fish remember to quarintine them first to prevent outbreaks.

Do you have any decor in your tank?
    Also, changing the filter media is a good idea.

3. Dragones5150918

Dragones5150918 Well Known Member Member

Never ever change the filter media unless it is falling apart, or so clogged water can not flow threw. Your benifital bacteria live there, and if you change it out, you loose your cycle.

Edit: Columnaris is actually a natural bacteria that lives in the aquarium and on the fish. It only manifests when something goes wrong with the fish that reduces their natural slime coat. Stressers like improper water quality, including ph swings, spikes in ammonia and nitrite, to high nitrate due to the lack of water changes, osmotic disruptions due to lack of proper minerals from infrequent water changes, weakened immune due to age and parasites, introduction of a fish that has it, and has a new chance on spredding, and the list goes on and on. Once the natural slime coat is compromised, the bacteria takes hold and we fight it off by medications and water quality. Once all symptoms are gone (eating habits resume, lesions and saddle gone, color returns, natural behavior resumes, etc), after proper dosing of medications and water quality is kept up, you should be fine.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  4. OP
    OP
    J

Well I got the columnaris after adding more new fish to my tank and it's a dirted tank so PH kinda regulates itself my tank was 100% fine till I added those new 1s and all he'll broke lose I had the columnaris strain that kills in 24hrs the last fish died about 3 days ago every1 else is doing good no signs lesions or saddles they seem back to normal...so just keep up with water changes i don't have to add more ployguard?

5. Dragones5150918

Dragones5150918 Well Known Member Member

You shouldn't have to do more treatment if everything is back to normal. Yes, just keep up with your water changes.

6. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

How do you know it was Columnaris you were battling?

7. OP
    OP
    J

Well at first I wasn't sure I started a thread asking what is was but no1 really have me an answer to what is it was at first I though it was ich cause after I added the new fish the Same evening I was looking at 1 rummy nose who had 3 white dots or flakey looking spots it was just that fish at first so when I woke up the next morning it was already dead and another 3 rummy nose were acting sick and looked like this e4859329cbee5853acba9adf3a67e42c.jpg but they had it on different parts of the body so I went straight to the pet store discribed it and showed them the pic and had my water para tested too they said everything was good except for a slightly high ph they said I shouldn't worry and it'll adjust cause of being a dirted tank came back home dosed the tank but I kept losing fish like 3 or 4 a day as soon as they caught it they died within 24hrs d7004518e33807036dd5d513b95e78a8.jpg 06886210ffbe2933615a47b9e64ea7de.jpg

e293749cbaa853334331e1f9ac0ebae9.jpg 7126841bae6402dcdf9cf6fc557655cb.jpg 89d3edfd61be0daf95de91cefb5668a3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  8. Dori.anne

Dori.anne Valued Member Member

Edited to remove my comment (since I can't delete), as chances are I don't really know what I'm talking about. I'll let more experienced members provide advice...
    cheers

9. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

As said earlier F. columnaris is an ubiquitous organism.

It does not need a fish host to survive.

When it feeds on fish it is being opportunistic.

It can survive indefinitely and is not restricted to 32 days or any other length of time.

However, it is true that farmed tropical aquarium fish often suffer with a specific highly virulent asian strain which has been isolated and identified by it's DNA. This strain is different to those naturally occuring. Of course, now that it is introduced it may become established.

10. OP
    OP
    J

And there's no meds to eliminate it from my tank by any?

11. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

It indeed looks like Columnaris.
    Is it found in other fish than neons @redshark ?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice