How long do you wait to add fish after one dies

• Thread starter UnknownUser
  • Start date

UnknownUser

Well Known
So this is a hypothetical question, but say one of my betta fish gets some common disease like a bacterial infection or parasites or something, he’s the only one in the tank and he dies. How long would you wait before adding a new betta? It’d have to be long enough to where whatever killed the original betta has died, but not too long so the cycle is still alive.

Also would it change things if I have snails and live plants in the tank?

fjh

Well Known
I would wait at least 2-3 weeks. This is to make sure that no other fish (if there were tankmates) start to show symptoms, and to ensure the disease dies off in the rest of the tank.

If you have snails or other fish etc then your cycle won't die. If the tank is going to stand empty, you can either dose pure ammonia or ghost feed your tank (feed as though there were a fish even if there isn't).

UnknownUser

Well Known
Sorry, I should add that it’s just a lone betta tank, so the tank would be fishless if one passes away.

I know ghost feeding is a thing, but wouldn’t that leave a gross old food mess in the tank?

fjh

Well Known
UnknownUser said:
I know ghost feeding is a thing, but wouldn’t that leave a gross old food mess in the tank?
yes, it would. Just do a ravel vac before adding new fish

Ash1176

You’re bacteria isn’t going to die off that easy, you don’t need to ghost feed!
Even if you would leave your tank empty for a year, the bacteria would just go dormant

But I would wait a month! And do maybe 2 100% water changes

Top Bottom