How long do you wait in between adding fish when stocking your tank?

Mii

You don't want to add your fish all at once because your bacteria won't keep up with the bioload, so you want to add them a few at a time, how long do you usually wait between adding fish?

Also if you're adding a school of fish, you don't want to add too many at once but you also don't want your schooling fish to be lonely and stressed, so how many schooling fish do you add at a time? Example let's just say cardinal tetras in a 20g(I'm not sure if I'll get cardinals but they're an option I've considered.)

GlennO

Depends on how it was cycled. If it was fishless cycled using 2-4ppm ammonia you can pretty much add all of your intended stock at once.

Mii

Depends on how it was cycled. If it was fishless cycled using 2-4ppm ammonia you can pretty much add all of your intended stock at once.
What if it's fish in cycling, starting with a couple tiny fish to not cause a big ammonia spike(And also dump in bottled bacteria like there's no tomorrow).

GlennO

What if it's fish in cycling, starting with a couple tiny fish to not cause a big ammonia spike(And also dump in bottled bacteria like there's no tomorrow).
Well it's the ammonia level that governs the size of the BB colony regardless of how much bottled BB is dumped in. So you'd need to take it slow. My approach would be something like doubling the number of fish every couple of weeks. Since they'll be added in batches a QT tank would be recommended. I wouldn't worry about not having enough schooling fish initially. I think it would be fine to build their number over a period of weeks.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
veggieshark
  • Poll
Replies
Views
yeti79
Replies
Views
Bruinfishkeeper1
20 Gallon Tank Stocking a 20g Long