How long do you think it will take for MTS to stir the sand enough on their own?

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I finally decided to get some MTS about a month ago (avoided the idea for some time). Iv just now noticed some little babies. So far everything has been great I do see them occasionally but they are not over running my tanks.They are quite pretty actually. What I was wondering was how long do you think I should keep stirring all my sand? Should I just start lessening the frequency in which I stir it? I want to make sure make the sand is stirred enough but I also have plants so the least I have to stir it all up and try not to disturb them to much the better (that goes for the snails too). Thanks.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
IMO you can probably stop now. What kind of sand do you have?

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for the reply. I have 3 tanks with sand...in one tank I have tahitian moon sand, another has play sand and another has a multi purpose sand(coarser). I put MTS in all of them.

psalm18.2

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You can poke sand w/ stick to alleviate bubbles. Usually it's done during the 1st month.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've put them in all of my tanks as well. They are beneficial in gravel tanks as well....if anyone with gravel is following the thread

djsmiley2k

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Jaysee said:
I've put them in all of my tanks as well. They are beneficial in gravel tanks as well....if anyone with gravel is following the thread
I have them in my gravel tank - they are reproducing also so I presume they are happy.

psalm18.2

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Jaysee said:
I've put them in all of my tanks as well. They are beneficial in gravel tanks as well....if anyone with gravel is following the thread [/QUOTE
How so?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They keep the tank clean and eat the food that falls through the gravel.

Small tanks in particular really benefit, because they are hard to find scavengers for.

nickymaran25

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I wish I could get MTS. Cant find a LFS that has them. I asked once and the lady said she had never heard of them before.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
nickymaran25 said:
I wish I could get MTS. Cant find a LFS that has them. I asked once and the lady said she had never heard of them before.
If she's never heard of them she probably wouldn't be able to identify them as such.... You should be able to find them if they are there. If they aren't on the decor or glass, look at the gravel - if the gravel looks like it's moving, then there are snails in it.

nickymaran25

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Jaysee said:
If she's never heard of them she probably wouldn't be able to identify them as such.... You should be able to find them if they are there. If they aren't on the decor or glass, look at the gravel - if the gravel looks like it's moving, then there are snails in it.
I'll have to look more closely the next time I go in. I'll probably have better luck at finding an idiot LFS worker than I will a MTS.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom