How Long Do You Keep Your Boxes?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by Books&Fish, Apr 14, 2017.

?

In case of needing the warranty, how long do you keep your boxes for filters, heaters, etc?

1. Boxes are out the door after opening

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. Boxes are kept until I know it works right

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Kept until the return window expires

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Kept until the warranty expires

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Kept forever

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Books&Fish

Books&FishWell Known MemberMember

Self-explanatory. If you buy equipment with warranties like heaters, filters, air pumps, etc, how long do you keep the boxes just in case?

2. James17

James17Well Known MemberMember

I usually keep until the warranty expires, but sometimes I get tired of the box being around and chuck it anyway. :rolleyes:

3. OP
    OP
    Books&Fish

I've got so many boxes laying around. I noticed my Aqueon 100w submersible heater has condensation under the glass and a bit of rusting. It also isn't keeping the temperature as low as I want it to, so I checked the warranty fine print and it seems ridiculous to bother with the costs involved in shipping and repair. It seems cheaper (in this case) to just replace it for $17. I think I'll hold onto the expensive filter box for a while, but toss the Sunsun box and all the Aqueon heater boxes.

4. ashenwelt

ashenweltWell Known MemberMember

I don't really. Takes up to much space.

5. CarrieFisher

CarrieFisherWell Known MemberMember

First, let me preface this by saying that I'm an enormous amount of nerd...

Second, I have a binder and I use those plastic sheet protector inserts.
    I cut the face off of the box, and the upc, I put them into the page protectors with the receipt, manual, and warranty info.

Again,
    50% nerd
    50% OCD organizing freak

6. oOBlueOo

oOBlueOoWell Known MemberMember

I have a cat. I'm not allowed to get rid of boxes.
    [​IMG]

7. allllien

allllienWell Known MemberMember

I'm a box keeper lol, but only because it makes it easy to store things later when they're not in use.. Of course, if it's always going to be in use, like lighting, or something large, I don't bother. I don't bother too much with warranties though, usually if it works when I get it it's going to work for a long time, but if you're worried about that, just keep the receipts (you don't need the original box if something breaks, they expect you to throw it out ;)).

8. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlackFishlore VIPMember

It's funny, but I have never returned a piece of aquarium equipment. It always lasts a few days past the end of the warranty anyway, and shipping it back generally costs as much as replacing it.
    If a filter or heater fails, you need a new one fast.
    I had an Aquaclear HOB run for 17 years straight, 24/7. I have several others well beyond 12, and chugging. Ebo Jaeger heaters are good for 5 years, although I have one 100 watt running accurately 22 years on. The thing amazes me.
    I have Chinese no name HOBs on a number of tanks - a bankrupt local store sold them as a house brand. They are rated for 30 gallon tanks, and I run them on 20 gallons, For $20 each, they have now given me 5 years, and one has failed out of 10 bought. That was after a power blackout. I'll go cheap on filters, but heaters? Never.
    I don't use heaters much, but they are really the only part of the system I'd consider keeping the box for, as they are the weak link.

9. OP
    OP
    Books&Fish

I keep all the manuals for everything in the house in a large storage bin. Every time I sell something, I dig it out to include it. Once a year I usually go through it and toss ones for things I don't have anymore but forgot to pull out. The only manuals not in this bin are my aquarium equipment.

The warranty period is calculated based on a minimum number of repairs falling into the window to minimize costs. It is just long enough to keep everyone happy with a few repairs, but not so long the company loses money repairing all their units. The length of the warranty can tell you how well they expect their product to last. (Accounting student here.)

I have all Aqueon 100w heaters on all my tanks (10s and a 20) except my 75g, which has a Hydor inline. My failing one has been running since September. I hope this is a one-off and not the beginning of replacing them already.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2017
  10. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

I'll usually unpackage anything I ordered.

My previous heater came in that rigid hard plastic case. That can cut you easily, I didnt keep that, just the warranty, with the instructions.

11. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlackFishlore VIPMember

I frankly assume the warranty is designed to fail even more quickly than the device. Few of these things can be repaired - they are designed for landfill as soon as they get past their warranty period. Sometimes, you get lucky and they work well for reasonable periods.
    For many years, we had local stores that would honour warranties, but now that everything works by mailing defective equipment to the manufacturer (a company probably just importing Chinese made gear branded with their name or sleek exterior plastic), it's a lost cause. I repair what can be repaired and choose brands carefully.
    I recycle all packaging immediately.

12. allllien

allllienWell Known MemberMember

I don't use heaters but as for filters, I've actually never had one break :) I did have one of my hydor crystal 1 filters that was never as good as the others though, I would have returned it but the store had closed down, and that filter is no longer in use but may come in handy for a smaller tank one day I guess. Oh, and my lights are pretty cr*p lol, while they work great and are nice and bright, the plastic bits at the end of the aluminum are gradually breaking apart from the heat, I thought it happened during a move but they continue to break apart and I'm always superglueing little bits of plastic back in place lol. It started maybe a year after the warranty ended anyway. I've been searching for some good LED lights to replace them with, but not sure if they'll be as bright?

13. APierce

APierceWell Known MemberMember

I keep the box for about as long as it takes to make sure that the product works. If it doesn't work, I contact Amazon (which has only happened once) Turns out I didn't even need the box, they told me to keep it and issued me a credit :)

14. AllieSten

AllieStenFishlore VIPMember

Me either. I recycle them right away.

15. scarface

scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Yea, everything just goes in the trash. I have been keeping boxes for my more recent aquarium purchases, because of a planned move and figured I might need them. In hindsight, it still doesn't make sense to keep them, so I'm going to throw them out first thing in the morning. Thanks for the reminder!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice