How long do wcmm live?

1. emmynk Well Known Member Member

So... I have had my wcmm for a while. They have been weeded out by the dumb ones that jump, so I have two left, that school with a harlequin rasbora.
    They live happily in a 5 gallon with my betta, for quite some time. But one has started to look weaker, older, spindlier.
    Tonight after cleaning and rescaping, I lay in bed watching them, and it seems he is having trouble swimming and is gasping. I know its only a 20 cent fish but I love all my fishies. I popped him in a half filled 5 gallon bucket, with an air stone, a heater, and a hide. Added a bit of aquarium salt (just under the reccomended dose) and a bit of melafix, because his fins were looking a little shabby anyways-- but once again, less than reccomended dose. I get scared.

Anyways is there anything else i can do for him? He seems pretty Happy in the bucket. Just not his zippy self.

Could it be old age? all the other fish in the tank are fine.

Judge me for loving a minnow. I dare you.
    Thank you.

2. Harlebleondora Well Known Member Member

3. Viriam Karo Well Known Member Member

Keep in mind that WCMM are not tropical/warm water fish, and your betta is, which means that one of them is in an environment that will put long-term stress on their immune system. My guess is that it's the WCMM? Their ideal range is about 65-72 degrees.

4. emmynk Well Known Member Member

He is being quarentined. I hope my other fish dont get it..
    You know, that's what I thought. A mountain minnow should live in could water. But somewhere some how I read otherwise. Now I feel bad. Hm.

Is there any way I can for sure diagnose this? Also, is it extremely waterborne? And isn't fish tb zoonotic?

Should I be cleaning my water changer with something?? :c