How long do tank lights last before having to be replaced for planted tanks?

andy305mia

I was reading reviews of some led lights bars of people that replaced them with the same exact fixtures and noticed after side by side that the light had significantly degraded. Is this typical of ALL led lighting? Is it normal to replace light fixtures say at least once a year? Are there brands that last longer? Am I better off buying something less expensive and just replacing it every year? I don't see how spending $100 plus, on a light that is only going to work full strength for say 6 months, is feasible. Thoughts? I would think that its probably better to get something really bright (high PAR) and get a dimmer and adjust accordingly, which works great if you have a $500 PAR meter at your disposal. I have low tech plants so this is probably doesn't mean much in my particular case, but it still interests me. Thoughts?? Thanks

MacZ

Totally depends on manufacturing quality and things like humidity resistance. Yearly replacement to me says something is wrong.

But:
Seen people use cheap lights for 5+ years and expensive lights break immediately.

Giving a median estimate: 2-4 years, sometimes more, sometimes less, would be good.

Upvote 0

andy305mia

Totally depends on manufacturing quality and things like humidity resistance. Yearly replacement to me says something is wrong.

But:
Seen people use cheap lights for 5+ years and expensive lights break immediately.

Giving a median estimate: 2-4 years, sometimes more, sometimes less, would be good.
What "cheap light" would you recommend? I was looking at Beamswork but read some bad reviews. I was leaning towards finnex not too expensive and not too cheap.

Upvote 0

MacZ

What "cheap light" would you recommend? I was looking at Beamswork but read some bad reviews. I was leaning towards finnex not too expensive and not too cheap.

I have no brand recommendation for you, sorry. Just go for something in the middle, that should work out fine.

Upvote 0

Mike1995

I have 4 finnex planted+ 24/7 lights. The oldest is on my 20g long. I've had it about 3 years now. So far I haven't noticed any difference since when I bought it. Haven't noticed any corrosion or anything. The guard that covers the LEDS seems to have done its job.

Upvote 0

andy305mia

I have 4 finnex planted+ 24/7 lights. The oldest is on my 20g long. I've had it about 3 years now. So far I haven't noticed any difference since when I bought it. Haven't noticed any corrosion or anything. The guard that covers the LEDS seems to have done its job.
I am glad to hear that Finnex has stood the test of time. It is hard to tell just how much a light may have diminished without a new one to compare to. When I decide to start 15g planted tank, I am almost positive I will be going with Finnex. I have used Current Usa for many years never had any issues, just a bit pricey for my liking. The Satellite Plus version has come way down in price maybe I will just spend the extra money, I have 1 now that seems to be doing good with my low level plants. Thanks again

Upvote 0

kallililly1973

All light are going to have good n bad reviews I have a Finnex 24/7 on our 55 going on 3 years n still grows plants great I have a beamswork on our 20 long and works great for the plants. But I honestly think I’m most impressed wit the Nicrew sky led we have on the 29 then again it’s a dirted tank so it’s gonna grow plants better than being in PFS . Just my.02

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jckronk76
  • Question
Replies
Views
BigBeardDaHuZi
Replies
Views
Lypress