How Long Do I Wait After My Tank Has Cycles to Clean My Sponge Filter

Kim007

I have a 5 gallon tank, and have done a fish in cycle, with 3 guppies, and two ghost shrimp. I used Tetra Safe Start Plus, and my tank has been cycled for two weeks, and I have 0 Ammonia, and 0 Nitrites. My question is should I give my sponge filter a cleaning, or wait, and just do a gravel vac with my first water change..I've read so much conflicting information on disrupting the bacteria, and I don't want to mess up the cycle by cleaning the sponge, or doing a gravel vac when I shouldn't be.. Any advice would be greatly appreciated..

Spudsssy

There are loads of different filtration systems but my rule is if there is a reduction in water flow then the filter needs to be cleaned in tank water. Only slight reduction!

If you have a white fine sponge then clean that weekly, having good mechanical filtration is key to any system. You will get to know your tank and when it needs to be cleaned and come up with a schedule. There is no best way to do it... Every tank is different.

I have good mechanical filtration which I clean weekly so I only clean my bio media 2-3 times in the year.

Kim007

Thanks!! I'm new to this, and I'm running just a plain black sponge filter, With an air stone. No HOB, or Bio Media.

Spudsssy

Kim007 said:
Thanks!! I'm new to this, and I'm running just a plain black sponge filter, With an air stone. No HOB, or Bio Media.
I would focus on keeping substrate clean with weekly gravel vacs.... with 3 guppies and shrimp I doubt the sponge filter will need cleaning already. Give it another 2 weeks and give the sponge a quick squeeze in tank water and see how dirty it is.... The main thing is you don't want the sponge to clog. I used to clean my sponge filter once a month in my 10-20gal tanks.

If you only have sponge filter your focus should be on proper amounts of feeding and keeping substrate clean.

Kim007

Thanks so much, I really appreciate your help!!

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom