how long do i quarentine???

1. jwokmuba2 Well Known Member Member

so my dg has passed from the dgd disease...... and now that my tank is five months old and showing plenty of algea to eat, i am thinking of getting three otos to help out with the maintanance... just wondering how long to quarintine and what to feed them in the qt tank...

2. redlessi Well Known Member Member

Sorry your DG passed. Not sure how otos do in a Q tank as they usually require a well established tank. When I got mine I added them to my 35 gal that was 1 yr old but at the time it was empty except for 2 danios and being used for qt. Maybe someone with a little more otto experience will come along with some answers. Good Luck

3. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Unless there is something obviously wrong with any of the Otos I would just put them straight into thier permanant home. I don't think they will deal with quarantine very well. I don't like to quarantine any fish unless there is something obviously wrong with it. IMO it just adds to the stress on the fish. It takes a few weeks for any fish to fully acclimatise & quarantine just extends the stress IMO. No sooner does a fish settle into the quarantine tank than it is pulled out & has to reacclimatise to a new home. I only quarantine for fish that have obvious problems that require it & I don't buy fish like that so I don't quarantine at all really. Only for the occasional fish that I already own that gets sick. Just my opinion though. I'm sure others have different views on quarantine procedures.

4. ray_sj Member Member

I quarantine all my fish for at least 4 weeks, so I'd do the same for the ottos.

I've got three ottos in quarantine right now, and they're just about ready to go into my main tank. I've had them in a 10g QT for more than 2 months now, with no problems at all. Every other day, I feed them some zucchini or brocolli stems that have softened in the microwave for a minute or two. If they have a rounded belly, then you know they're feeding well. Otherwise, keep the water quality high, and you should be fine.

5. agabr123 Fishlore VIP Member

ottos are tricky because unfortunately a very high percentage of them die within the first few weeks of you having them. there's an issue with bacteria in their stomachs that needs algae/greens to survive, and generally by the time they are captured, shipped to wherever they're headed, kept in the store, and finally put into someone's tank that bacteria has died.

having said that, i would definitely quarantine them if you already have fish in the tank that they will be added to. you may not be able to see something wrong with them when you first pick them up from the store, and it gives you time to make sure they're healthy. good advice on the food from ray_sj, i agree :)

6. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning. First, I've never kept Ottos. However, I quarantine all of my fish prior to them going into the main tanks. I can't/won't risk spreading disease/worms/parasites to my main tanks. If you bypass quarantine you're putting your entire stock at risk. I suggest quarantine for no less than 2 weeks. 4 weeks is even better :)
    Ken