How Long Do I Need To Quarantine?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Quarantine' started by smaurer3076, Apr 12, 2017.

1. smaurer3076Valued MemberMember

I have just gotten a new order of fish and I have them set up in 2 quarantine tanks. They're all healthy and eating (knock on wood) and I'm wondering how long I need to quarantine them? Would a week be ok if they're active and healthy?

2. KinsKicksFishlore VIPMember

Hello!

Quarantine should be done for a minimum of 3-4 weeks, but I always do more, more along the lines of 8-9 to be extra safe. I know it's a long time, but especially from lfs or unknown places (i.e. Online) it's best to have a place to monitor and/or treat (if necessary) to reduce any problems. However, if I know where I'm getting my fish from (like from my local aquarium specialty store) whom are more than happy to provide me any info I inquire about the tanks as well as examining them, I'll QT for about 2-3 (usually just to de-stress). Some say to QT for 12-13 weeks as a "true" QT! (standard QT for live animals in zoos and such), but I believe thats a little too much, but it depends on who u ask :p

Hope this helps and best of luck!

3. Igor95Well Known MemberMember

I just added 10 fish to my qt, (5 kuhlis, 5 sterbais), and 1 of the kuhlis mysteriously died last night. They're all eating and very active, but I will qt them for at least 6 weeks. Better be safe than sorry

4. smaurer3076Valued MemberMember

Ok! Definitely noted! Thank you!!

5. smaurer3076Valued MemberMember

Thank you!