How Long Do I Need To Quarantine?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Quarantine' started by smaurer3076, Apr 12, 2017.

1. smaurer3076

smaurer3076 Valued Member Member

I have just gotten a new order of fish and I have them set up in 2 quarantine tanks. They're all healthy and eating (knock on wood) and I'm wondering how long I need to quarantine them? Would a week be ok if they're active and healthy?

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!

Quarantine should be done for a minimum of 3-4 weeks, but I always do more, more along the lines of 8-9 to be extra safe. I know it's a long time, but especially from lfs or unknown places (i.e. Online) it's best to have a place to monitor and/or treat (if necessary) to reduce any problems. However, if I know where I'm getting my fish from (like from my local aquarium specialty store) whom are more than happy to provide me any info I inquire about the tanks as well as examining them, I'll QT for about 2-3 (usually just to de-stress). Some say to QT for 12-13 weeks as a "true" QT! (standard QT for live animals in zoos and such), but I believe thats a little too much, but it depends on who u ask :p

Hope this helps and best of luck!

3. Igor95

Igor95 Well Known Member Member

I just added 10 fish to my qt, (5 kuhlis, 5 sterbais), and 1 of the kuhlis mysteriously died last night. They're all eating and very active, but I will qt them for at least 6 weeks. Better be safe than sorry

4. OP
    OP
    smaurer3076

Ok! Definitely noted! Thank you!!

5. OP
    OP
    smaurer3076

Thank you!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice