How long do I let super glue dry?

FishGirl115

How long do I let Loctite super glue dry on my driftwood before I place it in my tank?

GouramisAreSuperior

FishGirl115 said:
How long do I let Loctite super glue dry on my driftwood before I place it in my tank?
It takes a day to dry, unless you touch it with your fingers as it says on the package that it hardens instantly if you do that. I'd give it a week to be sure tho.

FishGirl115

GouramisAreSuperior said:
It takes a day to dry, unless you touch it with your fingers as it says on the package that it hardens instantly if you do that. I'd give it a week to be sure tho.
I don't have a week to wait though. Will it be fine with just a day?

JettsPapa

When gluing plants to wood I typically hold the plant against the wood for 30 seconds or so so it doesn't fall off, wait another few minutes, then it goes in the tank. I definitely don't wait long enough for the plant to completely dry out.

CTYankee79

Are you gluing a plant to your driftwood? If so I put it in the tank within a few minutes and it’s fine.

GlennO

Superglue begins to set immediately on contact with water.

smee82

I just chuck mine in pretty much straight away

FishGirl115

Alright. thank you! I'm actually making a driftwood structure, not gluing plants on.

Pfrozen

I'm not sure why no one mentions this but I used 2 different kinds of Aquarium safe gel super glue, the cyanoacrylate kind, and they both released a bunch of white powder in a 1 inch radius of wherever I used it and made a huge mess. I used it to seal some lights that weren't water proof and it ruined them, the glue off gassed inside the lights and turned the cover white

Personally I will only use acrylic yarn to tie things from now on and I will only use clear silicon in my aquascapes. The super glue wasn't even strong enough to glue slate together anyways

FishGirl115

This is the glue I ordered it that helps anything
Robot Check
Edit- no clue why the link says robot check o_O

Pfrozen

FishGirl115 said:
This is the glue I ordered it that helps anything
Robot Check
All the cyanoacrylate glues are pretty much the same. It seems like a lot of people use it but my personal experience with it was a complete disaster. So YMMV of course lol. Maybe it's just me. I will say though that if your driftwood pieces are large or even a bit heavy then the glue won't hold unless you put big globs and then it'll look bad

CTYankee79

Pfrozen said:
I'm not sure why no one mentions this but I used 2 different kinds of Aquarium safe gel super glue, the cyanoacrylate kind, and they both released a bunch of white powder in a 1 inch radius of wherever I used it and made a huge mess. I used it to seal some lights that weren't water proof and it ruined them, the glue off gassed inside the lights and turned the cover white

Personally I will only use acrylic yarn to tie things from now on and I will only use clear silicon in my aquascapes. The super glue wasn't even strong enough to glue slate together anyways
I wouldn’t use CA (superglue) on any kind of plastic because it “flashes” the plastic, and I would never use it to seal anything. Certainly too brittle to hold slate together. But for the purpose of gluing plants to hardscape, used sparingly I find it to be the best method.
Edit: I agree that if the driftwood pieces are large or heavy I probably wouldn’t use superglue, it will make a mess and won’t hold. For small pieces or plants it works well, just don’t use too much

Pfrozen

CTYankee79 said:
I wouldn’t use CA (superglue) on any kind of plastic because it “flashes” the plastic, and I would never use it to seal anything. Certainly too brittle to hold slate together. But for the purpose of gluing plants to hardscape, used sparingly I find it to be the best method.
Yea I agree with this, still the best method for plants. Op is putting together a driftwood structure though. I wouldn't use it for that either

CTYankee79

Pfrozen said:
Yea I agree with this, still the best method for plants. Op is putting together a driftwood structure though. I wouldn't use it for that either
Agreed, I saw afterwards she was using it for that, I edited my last post :inpain:

FishGirl115

Alright. Thanks guys. I already ordered, so we'll see if it holds. It stands up on it's own already, but I didn't want t to risk it falling if fish bumps it. So it has support already kinda

Pfrozen

CTYankee79 said:
Agreed, I saw afterwards she was using it for that, I edited my last post :inpain:
i thought the handshake was a handshake but its "welcome" and that makes no sense in this context lol. i meant to say nbd haha :D

FishGirl115

Pfrozen said:
i thought the handshake was a handshake but its "welcome" and that makes no sense in this context lol. i meant to say nbd haha :D
People use it many different ways on here :)

Top Bottom