How Long Do I Have To Wait For This Wood Snot To Be Gone?

wodesorel
'Cause just ugh.

I soaked for two months and double boiled, and the tank has been set up for a couple of weeks now. I thought mopanI wasn't supposed to grow this stuff!

And then I tried adding a grapewood piece I boiled to a different tank, it kicked up a major bacterial bloom, so I moved it in with the turtles, and overnight it got snotty, too!

I just want pretty tanks again....
c08aca1524138601484cadb6fdcb18c1.jpg
9d264219f73bede9618c5dff505be14d.jpg
baddd564e9203d29f1b93e786f1d7c1d.jpg
0f1507b3192ab82861d25feb1a50f8f3.jpg
705b3a78920d908c8984355be8ae4306.jpg

75g Discus Tank
I would wait it out. Shrimp and other fish would pick at it.

If you don’t like it, I would just pick it out.

Goldiemom
It’s covered in a fungus. I’d take it out.

aussieJJDude
It will also go away on its own in a couple of weeks, wod. once they use up the organics in the wood, it will disappear... I'd personally just wait it out.

finnipper59
'Cause just ugh.

I soaked for two months and double boiled, and the tank has been set up for a couple of weeks now. I thought mopanI wasn't supposed to grow this stuff!

And then I tried adding a grapewood piece I boiled to a different tank, it kicked up a major bacterial bloom, so I moved it in with the turtles, and overnight it got snotty, too!

I just want pretty tanks again.... View attachment 442764View attachment 442765View attachment 442766View attachment 442767View attachment 442768
I agree with aussie, it will go away on it own, but you can loosen it from the wood and substrate by hand and get some out with a net. Once bacteria take over the job, the fingI will die off.

wodesorel
How long of a timeframe am I looking at? A month? 3? 6? If it is going to be a while, I would rather move the wood over to the turtle tanks where it will have better filtration!

finnipper59
Honestly...it's not a fungus. It's actually colonies of cyanobacteria. It is completely harmless to your tank and it's occupants, it just looks disgusting. You could take the wood out, boil it again, and it will still come back. There are specific nutrients found in dead wood that these cyanobacteria feed on and no matter what you do to clean it, it's going to have to just run it's course...which is consume all of those specific nutrients until it starves to death. You can brush it off and try to catch it in a net. But it's not going away until it has run its course. 2 week? Yes. 4 weeks? Yes. 8 weeks? It all depends on how much there is for them to eat. The good news is that it grows extremely fast, so it should use up it's food source fast. The other good news is that it will go away...for good. And this may not help much, but it's common in about 80 % of wood that gets put in fish tanks...regardless of the type of wood. Until it clears up, just tell people it's a a rare and exotic Swahelian Snotfish!
How long of a timeframe am I looking at? A month? 3? 6? If it is going to be a while, I would rather move the wood over to the turtle tanks where it will have better filtration!

wodesorel
It is neat in its own way. Kind of like having a very depressed jellyfish.

I will probably kick the wood over to the turtle tanks then until it has run its course. It just keeps getting thicker by the day, and the female betta in that tank is very confused by the way it jiggles.

I knew what it was, but surprisingly it's the first time I've dealt with it so was unsure of how long it would stick around. I am betting my clown plecos always took care of it before it got noticeable!

finnipper59
It is neat in its own way. Kind of like having a very depressed jellyfish.

I will probably kick the wood over to the turtle tanks then until it has run its course. It just keeps getting thicker by the day, and the female betta in that tank is very confused by the way it jiggles.

I knew what it was, but surprisingly it's the first time I've dealt with it so was unsure of how long it would stick around. I am betting my clown plecos always took care of it before it got noticeable!
When getting new aquarium wood, always look out for Swahelian Snotfish.

wodesorel
Snot monster has left the grapewood, and now we have leucistic Cousin It. Wee.
44da8ba6bd4bfd837be13748a9985ba1.jpg

finnipper59
Snot monster has left the grapewood, and now we have leucistic Cousin It. Wee. View attachment 444892
There is no specific time table, but all you can do is let it run it's course. This strain of cyanobacteria thrives on one specific compound found in dead wood. It's actually very fortunate that it grows so fast because it will use up it's food supply quicker. It may seem like a long time, but cousin It will eventually go home never to return.

wodesorel
I am bummed about the wait, it looked perfect in my community tank and I want to get it back there as soon as possible.

On the other hand, it IS really neat to watch it change every day.

I did end up popping all three pieces into my turtle tanks. More water flow, better filtration (supersized canisters) and the turtles are also messing with it so they are having fun. The mopanI seems to be almost done. In the aquarium the snot bubble had spread to where it was taking over the plants, the sand, and the glass! It has really shrunk in the last day.

wodesorel
The grapewood is in place! Just a bit of slime was left, and my clown plecos and kuhlis cleaned it off overnight.

The MopanI still looks like though. That surprised me, I thought for sure with it having been bucket aged for months that it would have gone faster.

e52656aef98caa8bba5d8473e6bd4b7e.jpg

Fanatic
The grapewood is in place! Just a bit of slime was left, and my clown plecos and kuhlis cleaned it off overnight.

The MopanI still looks like though. That surprised me, I thought for sure with it having been bucket aged for months that it would have gone faster.
View attachment 450558

Grapewood rots underwater after a certain time period, just a heads up.

wodesorel
Manzanita has rotted long before my grapewood ever has. 8 years and counting!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Caroline J
Replies
Views
gocrow77
Replies
Views
VioletSS
Replies
Views