How Long Do Guppies Hold Sperm?

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by Fishy17, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Fishy17New MemberMember

So i have a pregnant female guppy. She dropped her first batch of fry about two weeks ago and is pregnant again. I am just wondering how long this will continue on for after i remove the male? I love guppies, but eventually i am going to run out of room!

2. Crimson_687Well Known MemberMember

6 months at most, usually 3 months, according to another fishlore thread, 10 months or more according to a 2013 study in the river of Trinidad

3. Fishy17New MemberMember

So that means i could have up to six batches of fry then? If i end up with too many, what should i do with them all?

4. Annie59Well Known MemberMember

Options would be..sending some back to pet shop, setting up their own tank, use them as feeders or get a larger fish IF it will fit in your tank to control population. Or maybe see if some one you know might want them..

5. GlennOValued MemberMember

If you remove any hiding places for the fry maybe she will eat them?

6. Crimson_687Well Known MemberMember

Guppies do eat their own babies, mistaking them for food (i.e misquito larvae) but they wouldn’t account for a substantial population dent. You would have to get a predatory fish to do that kind of damage you are looking for, and even then some will make it, but few. However, not everyone is willing to do this, bcs obviously nobody likes seeing their pet fish eat another pet fish...
    The better option would be to RAOK or sell them. Guppies are quite popular in the hobby as a colorful beginner fish, and having someone else raise them and care for them is an insurance that they weren’t likely exposed to any parasitic infections

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019