How Long Do Glass Tanks Last?

BloodparrotJay
Ive never had a tank for more than a few years. I usually always upgraded to a bigger size depending on what fish I have. Currently I am down to one 65 gallon tank that I have had lets say about 6 years.
It shows no sogns of leaking but I am just curious at how long glass tabks tend to last and are there any tell tail signs that I should be looking for? Thanks in advance, Jay.

fishychachki
If it's a well-constructed glass tank it should last for as long as it's used I think. Some members have had certain tanks used for 10 years with no cracks or leaks or any other issues whatsoever. I can't think of how people with monster fish deal with it if their tanks crack every 10 years or so.

Unless it's scaped with unreasonably huge heavy rocks and woods and you transport them improperly over long distance (ie. Keeping the decors, fish and water in the tank while it is transported including all the lifting and handling and carrying around), I think glass tanks will last as long as their owners.

BloodparrotJay
fishychachki said:
If it's a well-constructed glass tank it should last for as long as it's used I think. Some members have had certain tanks used for 10 years with no cracks or leaks or any other issues whatsoever. I can't think of how people with monster fish deal with it if their tanks crack every 10 years or so.

Unless it's scaped with unreasonably huge heavy rocks and woods and you transport them improperly over long distance (ie. Keeping the decors, fish and water in the tank while it is transported including all the lifting and handling and carrying around), I think glass tanks will last as long as their owners.
Makes sense. The tank is in the exact same spot its been in since it was first filled with water. Never has it been moved. I was really just curious as I’ve never kept a tank this long. Thank you.

KinsKicks
They only thing that I would do is resealing with fresh silicone every 8-10 years or so. Glass is pretty strong stuff, but it'll be the waning silicone that'll cause the leaking eventually

PETS BEST FRIEND
It is always good on new tanks as with very old tanks to every now and then check the edge seams on all four corners. Other then that I would say a very very long time. I have seen water under the seam seals and lets just say when the tank went it was not pretty.

BloodparrotJay
KinsKicks said:
They only thing that I would do is resealing with fresh silicone every 8-10 years or so. Glass is pretty strong stuff, but it'll be the waning silicone that'll cause the leaking eventually
Thank you

PETS BEST FRIEND said:
It is always good on new tanks as with very old tanks to every now and then check the edge seams on all four corners. Other then that I would say a very very long time. I have seen water under the seam seals and lets just say when the tank went it was not pretty.
Ahh ok thank you. I will be checking that tomorrow.

Mike1995
I have a 112 gallon oceanic tank. They aren't even in business anymore. I've had it for 2 years. And the previous owner had it for about 15. so I guess it all depends. I love marineland tanks. I've also had aqueon. Lasted 3 years.

BloodparrotJay
Mike1995 said:
I have a 112 gallon oceanic tank. They aren't even in business anymore. I've had it for 2 years. And the previous owner had it for about 15. so I guess it all depends. I love marineland tanks. I've also had aqueon. Lasted 3 years.
Yea I can't even remember what brand it is. Its eitger marineland or aqueon. Got it from petgoods. I think those are the brands they have

BloodparrotJay said:
Yea I can't even remember what brand it is. Its eitger marineland or aqueon. Got it from petgoods. I think those are the brands they have
Mike1995 said:
pretty sure aqueon though

Littlebudda
Just getting my new tank built and the builder suggested getting them out after 10 years to check the silicone and if it’s good every two years after that until you reseal and then it starts again. He also mentioned that if you want it to last try not to rub around where the silicone is when cleaning and if possible keep the tank water levels balanced so you get limited algae growth as Algae will cause premature failure of the seals.

NavigatorBlack
My 'youngest' tank is 10 years in use. I have some going to 25 years, with no resealing and no leaks. I start checking at 12 years - an arbitrary number, but.
I have had 3 tank seams fail - one I resealed myself, and two from the same factory lot that were oh so cheap I had to buy them - they popped within 3 weeks of each at around 5 years. There was very little silicone in them, a fact I should have noticed when I bought them but that I didn't look for.

Alas, my 20 gallon long I bought when I was 16 cracked across the front when I was 56. Lousy workmanship.

Random Great Thread

Top Bottom