How long do bamboo shrimp hide after being introduced?

Pfrozen

Well Known
Reactions
Hi, I added a bamboo shrimp 3 or 4 days ago. I picked one that was super dark and huge, roughly 4 inches long. He was missing some body parts and looked old but I liked him. He swam around for a bit and then perched right under the outflow of my HOB filter like he should. I thought great! I went to bed and haven't seen him since. I know he's been hiding in the pirate ship because I could see antennas moving around in there for a couple days but he must have moved deeper inside because I can't see anything now. I have a 10 gallon tank with a 10g HOB and 40g air pump running an oversized sponge filter so he should have plenty of places to fan for food when he decides to come out, plus my tank is understocked.

Do you think he could be dead? Or, since he obv needed to molt when I bought him, is he just molting and hardening up? I have no clue how long these guys are supposed to hide for, I've read that they hide for a couple weeks but I've also read that he could be dead if he hides for a few days. Lots of missing info.

Thanks.

Edit: parameters 0,0,10 GH 7-8 KH 4-5 pH 7.0 temp 75. Literally perfect for bamboo shrimp

Salem

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
1 year
What else is in the tank? Shrimp often spend a lot of their time hiding anyway but if any fish follow or try to nip at them they will pretty much hide 24/7.

OP
P

Pfrozen

Well Known
Reactions
Salem said:
What else is in the tank? Shrimp often spend a lot of their time hiding anyway but if any fish follow or try to nip at them they will pretty much hide 24/7.
Just some RCS and 4 rasboras, all peaceful and non aggressive

Convoluted77

Reactions
Experience
1 year
It varies.Bamboos can be pretty shy.i have 3 of them and for about the 1st month they freaked out and hid anytime the lights came on and one even jumped out of the tank.2 of the 3 stay on their perch now filter feeding 90% of the time but that 3rd one still hides a lot and comes out at night and raids the shrimp dish which isnt good.I do see him filter feeding some now but not quite enough yet.

OP
P

Pfrozen

Well Known
Reactions
Convoluted77 said:
It varies.Bamboos can be pretty shy.i have 3 of them and for about the 1st month they freaked out and hid anytime the lights came on and one even jumped out of the tank.2 of the 3 stay on their perch now filter feeding 90% of the time but that 3rd one still hides a lot and comes out at night and raids the shrimp dish which isnt good.I do see him filter feeding some now but not quite enough yet.
Thanks, I keep the lights low at night so I can't actually see inside. I checked a few times and he wasn't out though. Fingers crossed, hoping he makes an appearance soon

OP
P

Pfrozen

Well Known
Reactions
Ha! I think the fish are reading my mind. I happened to check my aquarium and found him feeding alive and well. I have a piece of mulberry leaf stuck on the pirate ship and waving around in the downstream current, he's going to town but I also sneakily powdered some color flakes and dropped them in. I was so worried!! :D

Convoluted77

Reactions
Experience
1 year
Pfrozen said:
Thanks, I keep the lights low at night so I can't actually see inside. I checked a few times and he wasn't out though. Fingers crossed, hoping he makes an appearance soon
Good luck.Hope it works out for ya.They are a neat
Pfrozen said:
Ha! I think the fish are reading my mind. I happened to check my aquarium and found him feeding alive and well. I have a piece of mulberry leaf stuck on the pirate ship and waving around in the downstream current, he's going to town but I also sneakily powdered some color flakes and dropped them in. I was so worried!! :D
Hooray.I hope he does well for you.They are pretty neat .They occasionally leave big presents that freak me out every time.
20200728_015044.jpg

OP
P

Pfrozen

Well Known
Reactions
Update:

He molted 2 days ago and the shell was super super thick like he was waiting or something lol. I caught him filtering this morning and wow! He's a nice red colour with a nice creamy stripe down his back. And he looks so much smaller! It's almost like he was waiting to shed all that thick armor :)

Convoluted77

Reactions
Experience
1 year
Pfrozen said:
Update:

He molted 2 days ago and the shell was super super thick like he was waiting or something lol. I caught him filtering this morning and wow! He's a nice red colour with a nice creamy stripe down his back. And he looks so much smaller! It's almost like he was waiting to shed all that thick armor :)
Sweet.Yes they look really pretty after they molt.
Pfrozen said:
Update:

That's great.They do look really nice after molting huh? I have to admit I have wondered how they would be on a grill with some teriyaki sauce lol.

OP
P

Pfrozen

Well Known
Reactions
Convoluted77 said:
Sweet.Yes they look really pretty after they molt.

That's great.They do look really nice after molting huh? I have to admit I have wondered how they would be on a grill with some teriyaki sauce lol.
Lol apparently they are eaten where they come from! Interesting for sure!

OP
P

Pfrozen

Well Known
Reactions
Not a good picture but I just wanted to show, he took on the color of the red cherries! Funny little dude has his fans out but you cant see them. And yea my tank is milky as **** and I still need to get some plants in, shouldn't be too much longer before both those things get resolved

Attachments

New Threads