How Long Did It Take You To Achieve Balance?

toeknee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello all. Just curious on how long it's taken most of you to get your tank balanced out. I don't mean cycled. I mean balanced to the point where you have no nuisance algae, plants are growing well,you have your lights and light schedule dialed in perfectly, all fish are healthy, have been for a long time and things are just smooth sailing along in your tank. My 55 heavily planted tank is about 8 months old. Currently I'm struggling with a bit of green algae I'm starting to get the upper hand on, plant growth and health is alright but not yet optimal, not 100% set on my light schedule yet, fish health is great. I'm definitely not yet perfectly balanced out but I hope to be by the 1 year mark of my tank.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hmmm. 20 some years and still haven't figured out the plant thing. So it has to never. Other then plants a month or 2 now.

midna

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
not yet lol. i'm working on it. cutting back lights and ferts

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I still haven't balanced out this hobby after a few years of doing it.

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
One and a half years into the hobby, I am still working on it.
The thing is, so many of the things we do in a regular basis perturb any possible balance our system might try to reach. Plants grow, and get trimmed. Fish get added. Substrates get depleted. I’m not saying things change quickly but they are always changing, and we just have to realize that and keep on top of those shifts.
It sounds like you’re winning the battle, just keep at it.

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I purposefully grow algae in my tanks due to gobies, plecos and snails that like to eat it. I have just enough to let them eat without being unsightly though. Other than the algae everything is balanced, though as tank balance is in the eyes of the beholder, everything including the algae is pretty much balanced to me!

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Feohw said:
I have just enough to let them eat without being unsightly though.
That sounds like balance to me. No “otherwise” necessary.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
There will always be speed bumbs along the way to achieve the "balanced" tank you speak of. As long as your enjoying the hobby and the fish look happy and you keep your WC schedules and enjoy sitting back and just watching your tank... then that is when you know it has "balanced" out. Good luck!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom