How long did it take for your tank to cycle? (random thread)

fishkeeper19524

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I failed as a beginner, didn't cycle the tank and all if my fish died. I cycle my tanks now, but I was clueless back then

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Cycled a 10gal in 2 months with plants & dr Tim's ammonia. fishless cycles are easier imo

Inner10

Well Known
Reaction score
The last tank I setup without seeding was more of an experiment. It was 10 gallon dosed with Seachem Stability. On the second day I added 3 rasboras, kept an eye on the water closely. It was fully cycled in 10 days.

johnbetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
two months for small tanks for a 3 ft and four ft it took 3 months to cycle them

Rafisunn

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It took me a little under a month to cycle my 20g. It was a fishless cycle and currently has 3 female platys and 4 platy fry :)

ArtFish

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a 75 gallon
It took about 2-3 months, I added a small amount of food in the tank, tank got cloudy after a while, then cleared up and was ready. I let it cycle without a filter for a good while (because I hadn’t bought one yet)
I didn’t purposely wait 2+ months, it was more that I didn’t get the fish for a while,

Hugooo

Reaction score
I did a fish-in cycle with a single tiger barb (not the best; I know) in a 5 gallon in a week. The only reason mine was so quick is because I squeezed in the filter cartridge gunk from another tank a few times. Quickest and easiest way ever! It currently houses around 30 molly fry. Don't worry, it's not permanent!

Last August, back when I didn't even know what a cycle and BB was, I added fish to a 10 gallon the same day I got them. They are all still alive, except one. By the time I got an API Freshwater Master Test Kit--around a month ago--there were 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 20 nitrates.

I like many others, knew almost nothing before joining this forum. In the summer of '16, I won a goldfish at a July 4th fair. I put it in a 10 gallon the same day I got it. That's already small enough for a goldfish. Then, I decided to get two mollies and some kind of sucker fish, probably a cory... I don't even know what it was called. And a black moor goldfish, too!

Needless to say, the tank didn't last 6 months. May God bless these poor innocent fish. :( :facepalm: :banghead:

OP
K

kambreezy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hugooo said:
I did a fish-in cycle with a single tiger barb (not the best; I know) in a 5 gallon in a week. The only reason mine was so quick is because I squeezed in the filter cartridge gunk from another tank a few times. Quickest and easiest way ever! It currently houses around 30 molly fry. Don't worry, it's not permanent!

Last August, back when I didn't even know what a cycle and BB was, I added fish to a 10 gallon the same day I got them. They are all still alive, except one. By the time I got an API Freshwater Master Test Kit--around a month ago--there were 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 20 nitrates.

I like many others, knew almost nothing before joining this forum. In the summer of '16, I won a goldfish at a July 4th fair. I put it in a 10 gallon the same day I got it. That's already small enough for a goldfish. Then, I decided to get two mollies and some kind of sucker fish, probably a cory... I don't even know what it was called. And a black moor goldfish, too!

Needless to say, the tank didn't last 6 months. May God bless these poor innocent fish. :( :facepalm: :banghead:
aww sorry for your fish. I was also reckless when joining this hobby just in January. I wasn’t aware of the nitrogen cycle, set up a 10 gallon tank, let it run for like 5 days before buying fish, pet store told me everything seems fine. Ended up buying like 6 fish of like 4 different species and even a goldfish which didn’t last a month. But now I have started over I know all about the cycle and very informed now and my 10 gallon tank is still cycling, it’s been about 5 weeks now.

GuppyDazzle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I cycled a 20-tank fish room many years ago with fish in (feeder goldfish from the LFS). I tested frequently and did water changes to keep combined ammonia and nitrite at 1 ppm or below. I logged the results, and each tank was cycled in five to six weeks. After about 10 years life happened and I had to take down the fish room.

Two years ago I set the fish room back up. I took the advice of Cory from Aquarium Coop and added live plants to help seed the bacteria colonies. This time each tank was cycled in two to three weeks.

I never use bottled bacteria. I know it doesn't work as advertised, and I'm not convinced it works at all.

Hugooo

Reaction score
GuppyDazzle said:
I cycled a 20-tank fish room many years ago with fish in (feeder goldfish from the LFS). I tested frequently and did water changes to keep combined ammonia and nitrite at 1 ppm or below. I logged the results, and each tank was cycled in five to six weeks. After about 10 years life happened and I had to take down the fish room.

Two years ago I set the fish room back up. I took the advice of Cory from Aquarium Coop and added live plants to help seed the bacteria colonies. This time each tank was cycled in two to three weeks.

I never use bottled bacteria. I know it doesn't work as advertised, and I'm not convinced it works at all.
Congrats on successfully keeping so many fish! How did you ever manage to keep up with all of the maintenance? I only have three aquariums, and that's stressful enough.

Now that I think about it, using feeder goldfish is actually a really smart idea! They poop a lot, causing ammonia to come up, but are very hardy, so they will survive the cycle! That is so smart. I might actually consider doing that the next time I have to cycle a fish tank. Good luck coming back to the hobby! You should make your own thread just for your fish room. I would totally follow!

GuppyDazzle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I made the mistake (?) of breeding guppies. I got the bug bad. To selectively breed you need six to eight tanks per line. I have four lines, and 20 tanks in my fish room, and I'm constantly fighting with not enough tanks. Most of the top guppy breeders have a minimum of 100 tanks, some as many as 200.

I figured ways to be more efficient with tank maintenance, especially water changes. I got a submersible pond pump for draining and ran plastic hose to the floor drain in the other room. I hook up a hose to get water for refilling from the tap. I can move 250 gallons of water during 50% water changes (total 250 gallons of water, 125 out, 125 in) in less than an hour, and that includes setting up the pond pump and the refill hose and putting everything away when I'm done. I start with draining the first tank, then when it's done I move the pump to the second tank and use my fill hose (with a Python Hook) to fill up the first tank, so I'm running both the pump and the tap continually full blast, going from one tank to the next. I have a little container of Prime with an eyedropper, one squirt per 10G's. It works really slick. Also once a week I vacuum the mulm off the bottom and do a 25% water change. That allows me to feed pretty aggressively for growth, including at least two feedings of live brine shrimp every day.

The feeders work great. Two different LFS's were glad to loan me some feeders. They start out as scrawny fish about an inch and a half, and I return them a few months later all fattened up and they can sell them for pond goldfish.

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I cycled my 10 gallon with 2 guppies. I dosed the apI quickstart and I did daily or once every 2 day water changes and the cycle finished in 5-6 days, maybe a week. I never used test kits and everything went smoothly, please don't attack me :)

OP
K

kambreezy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
bgntoc said:
I cycled my 10 gallon with 2 guppies. I dosed the apI quickstart and I did daily or once every 2 day water changes and the cycle finished in 5-6 days, maybe a week. I never used test kits and everything went smoothly, please don't attack me :)
Oh wow really.. maybe I should start dosing that daily.

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
kambreezy said:
Oh wow really.. maybe I should start dosing that daily.
I think it depends... some people say it works and some say it doesn't. I just dosed it so that there was already bacteria and it could colonize. I mean it worked for me lol. Also, this is random, but I literally added food to the tank(to add ammonia) before adding the fish and the fish were just pecking at the rotting food.... tank goodness they were okay haha. I don't know, I just fed them daily, did a water change(maybe around 30 percent) and I added new fish and everything was fine.

johnbetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
bgntoc said:
that's a fast way to do it I am not a fan of quick start as it can be over used when setting up a tank

johnbetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yale Kim said:
I'm kind of impatient so I just squeeze a cycled sponge filter all over the tank which then kind of cycles it fast.
what u did works to

bgntoc said:
wait what do you mean???
what I mean is if u use to much it over doses the tank and dosnt do the cycle any good its ok to use if done correctly half a cap full is all that is needed when using that

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
johnbetta said:
what I mean is if u use to much it over doses the tank and dosnt do the cycle any good its ok to use if done correctly half a cap full is all that is needed when using that
Oh. I just added a teaspoon at first and added a drop or two 1 or 2 times a day afterwards... I honestly didn't really know what I was doing with adding the random drops of the liquid lol.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom