How Long Can You Leave Substrate Unplanted

Duardo

Valued Member
Reaction score
So I recently bought a bag of Eco-Complete, and I was planning on putting it in my 10 gal., but I am still waiting on my plants and the substrate will be unplanted. I was wondering if I can leave the substrate like that or would I have problems. I know you cant keep it in water because algae will form, But I cant keep it dry because it comes with a liquid that supposedly contains beneficial bacteria. So I was wondering how can I deal with it? I also already opened the bag to put some in another aquarium so there's that.

Duardo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Lol thanks you guys, I saw a youtube video warning about that stuff so I got nervous. I appreciate it! Now i can cycle the tank lol. I hope it cycles quickly since this supposedly has BB but I also have a filter that was running in another aquarium and some gravel I am going to place in there as well so it should be all good.

Duardo

Valued Member
Reaction score
You can put it in there no problem. Do not turn the lights on and do large water changes of over %50 at least every 2 or 3 days.
Oh i heard to not do water chnages for the first week, but I guess thats if you have plants which I dont yet. Im afraid to move my plants into this tank as it has no light other than the sun lol.

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Oh i heard to not do water chnages for the first week, but I guess thats if you have plants which I dont yet. Im afraid to move my plants into this tank as it has no light other than the sun lol.
Changing 50% every day or every other day during the first couple weeks is the best way to prevent algae from the start (besides balanced lighting, ferts, CO2).

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom