How long can I wait to upgrade to a bigger tank? 10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Angelfish' started by mcurtissdsu, Mar 24, 2010.

1. m

mcurtissdsu Well Known Member Member

Hi all,

This is my first time trying fishkeeping. I bought some fish back in December from Petsmart. Was WAY overstocked for a 10 gallon. I've lost 4 of the 7 fish I started with :( I'm left with 2 guppies and an angelfish now. Since becoming a Fishlore member, it's come to my attention that my angelfish will eventually need to be in at least 30 gallons.

Currently, he's pretty small, only 1.5" long and tall. I live in a very cramped house right now and don't know where I would set up a 30 gallon tank. However, I'll be moving into my own place on May 1st.

He's been in the 10 gallon this entire time and, after losing so many fish already, I don't want to lose him too. Would I pushing my luck if I wait until May to buy a tank and start cycling?

2. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

if your angel is only 1.5 inche long after 3 months, you can tell the tanks too small :( it should be larger after that amount of time..what size was it when you got it? not seen angels sold much smaller than 1.5

3. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I have a 30 gallon, and it is too short for an angel. You want a tank that is at least 17 inches tall. A 30 is 16 inches tall. Make sure you know the measurements of what you are buying. Angels like height - they need the space so the fins can grow well.

As far as when you would do the move, it is really up to you, obviously the sooner the better. If the angel starts to really grow, and the tank is too small, his fins will grow wrong. If it were my fish, I would probably rehome him or return him to the store, and then get another angel when I had enough space. But really, you have to decide.

4. OP
    OP
    m

It doesn't seem like he's grown at all since I got him but I guess it's hard to tell because I look at him everyday. He was small when I got him. Also, I have no idea how old he is and I bought him from Petsmart where he was in what looked like smaller than a 10 gallon tank with at least 10 other angelfish, probably more. Is it possible that his growth was stunted so much at the store that he has stopped growing?? I really don't want to give him back to Petsmart. After reading so much on Fishlore, it's clear that they don't care at all about the fish they carry. Also, when I was there on Saturday, they had an angel in there that was not even 1", he was the tiniest little angelfish I've ever seen!

5. OP
    OP
    m

I've been looking on Craigslist and there are tons of people in my area selling 20 gallon and 30 gallon aquariums. I'm planning on getting a tall (preferably hexagonal) tank. Would I be able to get by with a 20 gallon if I just add one more angel so he has a friend? I wouldn't put anything else in there with them.

I want to move him as soon as financially possible and it looks like it won't be hard to get a good deal. My next question is, would it better to wait until I move in May to start all of this? I don't know how easy it would be to move a fully set up 30 gallon and a 10 gallon tank and I don't want to cause undue stress. Sorry for all the questions...I'm just trying to take the best care of them that I can considering how much horribly wrong information the employees at Petsmart gave me when I started out.

6. Meenu

29g is more common than 30g, and I think a little taller, but they aren't the same dimensions. If you want to keep angels, my rec would not be a true 30.

Most people think 2 angels, no other tankmates, in a 20 tall are fine. Once in a while you'll get someone who says no way.

7. OP
    OP
    m

Ok, thank you so much for the help. I think I could feasibly purchase a tank within a month and start cycling it. I've already found someone who will sell me a nice wrought iron stand for $20.

I found this online,  

Would those dimensions be ok? It is 18" tall.

8. Meenu

perfect! be careful of tankmates. You can do tetras, but if you go with small ones like neons, they may get eaten as the angels get bigger.

You could get 2 angels and a school of cories. I think that would make an awesome tank, with enough space for everyone to never feel crowded. Eventually you could add a small school of other fish.

9. genie

genie Well Known Member Member

Just an FYI-- If you are looking on craigslist, be sure to check out larger tanks as well because I got a great deal on a 55-- it was the same price as most of the 29's that were listed.

Also remember that part of your fish loss could have been due to the cycling process so be sure to seed your new tank with media from the old tank.

AND when you move everything... keep the gravel and the filter wet during transport so your cycle doesn't crash.

And from experience... it is a pain to move aquariums. That being said, your fishy does need a new home. I know some will disagree, but if it were me, I would wait until I moved to set up a new tank. May 1 isn't that far off. That is just my opinion.

Good luck!:)

10. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

+1 :)

11. OP
    OP
    m

I think I would love 2 angels and a school of cories. I think the little cories are so cute but there's no room for them in my 10 gallon. Thanks for all the help, everyone!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice