How Long Can I Leave My Aquariums Unattended?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by HaileStorm, Apr 17, 2018.

1. HaileStorm

HaileStorm Valued Member Member

Hi everyone!

I'm leaving the house for 2 whole days.

I have two aquariums:

1) 23 Gallon (with thick substrate, rocks and fake plants)
    - Harlequin Rasbora
    - Cardinal Tetra
    - Rummy Nose Tetra
    - Octocinclus
    - Sterbai Corydoras
    - Red Platy
    - Betta

2) 2.6 Gallon (no substrate, just one gish hideout)
    - Red Platy Fry (1 week old)

How long can I leave these tanks without food?

I'm a bit concerned with the 2.6g fry tank as they might die from hunger. Would it be okay if I left a Hikari Algae Waffle at the bottom of the tank so they can munch on it? Or should I just leave crushed food floating on the water surface? Will they be able to survive?

Will my community tank be okay as well?

2. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

Fish can last weeks without food. Two days is nothing :p Just do a water change before you go

3. GuppyDazzle

GuppyDazzle Valued Member Member

Agree with penguin02. Many problems occur when people overfeed before leaving for a few days. Not feeding for a couple of days isn't going to hurt any of your fish.

4. FriarThomasIII

FriarThomasIII Well Known Member Member

Yeah they should be one hundred percent okay. Besides, it's good for fish to have a fast every now and again.

5. OP
    OP
    HaileStorm

Even the 1 week old Platies will be fine? They were born just last week and I was advised to feed them crushed food 3x a day.

Wont they starve since they're still babies?

Sorry if I seem repetitive but Im just really, really concerned about them. My first time to have fish babies.

6. FriarThomasIII

If you are that concerned, get a vaction feeder block, or an automatic feeder. Maybe that would set you at ease?

7. Kyleena696

Kyleena696 Valued Member Member

The fish in your 23 gallon will be fine. I'd get some advice from people on here who breed fish to see what you should do about the fry. I agree, that seems like awhile for the babes to go without food. Do you have any moss or anything you could put in there? I've read they get a food source from that (insuforia?) but definitely check with people who breed fish.

I would definitely not do that.

8. GrayGray4231

GrayGray4231 Well Known Member Member

I personally don't recommend vacation feeder blocks because a lot of times they turn the water very gross and green.
    You can use them, but I just don't like them at all.

9. Kyleena696

@Lchi87 I seen that you put fry care as a specialty, can you help?

10. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

I generally don't feed my fish on Sat and Sundays...they'll be fine for two days.

11. FriarThomasIII

in a small tanks like your pico (less than 5) maybe, but not in a large tank like a 20, especially in two days. @GrayGray4231

12. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Agree with above - I have left my fish for a week with no ill effects.
    As for fry, same thing - I had fry being born in my tank several times and never knew it since they were hiding. They will be fine for a few days - there's enough bio film in the tank for them to eat.
    It's better to underfeed than overfeed.

13. Lchi87

Lchi87 Moderator Moderator Member

Two days is no big deal for adult fish, I’ve gone as long as a week and they could go even longer without eat IMO. The platy fry could benefit from having a handful of moss or thick plants from a mature tank since they can munch on any teeny critters living in there. Two days should be okay as long as you feed and do a water change before you leave! Don’t leave any food out that could possibly rot and foul up the tank. Hope this helps!

14. GrayGray4231

GrayGray4231 Well Known Member Member

Fish can I go up to 3 weeks without eating, I just would not do that. Lolp :p

15. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

The fry will be fine. I get fry so often that I sometimes forget to feed them (i know it sounds terrible). They can go a couple days. But if you want to be 100% sure add some moss.

16. OP
    OP
    HaileStorm

Thank you so much everyone for your response. I'll ask my lfs if they have moss, perhaps i can get some before I leave tomorrow. Will they feed off algae wafers at the bottom of the tank if they get hungry? I have hikari algae wafers on hand for my ottos.

If I dont find any moss to put in, I might get and auto feeder. I just hope they work well with crushed fish food.

Worst-case is I leave them for a whole day and a half with crushed food floating on the surface and try to come home earlier. Good idea?

Both my tanks dont have any live plants at the moment so I'm afraid them feeding off live plants is not an option.

Im actually not that concerned about my community tank, more on the fry tank.

17. Kyleena696

You might be able to find some fry-specific food, but I don't know. The term 'first-bites' is coming to mind.

18. Lchi87

Lchi87 Moderator Moderator Member

I’m going to say no to auto feeders unless you’re certain it won’t malfunction... and how can anyone be certain? Worst case scenario, you’re away and your auto feeder keeps feeding and won’t stop unbeknownst to you..

I truly feel like leaving food out for the fry will do more harm than good. Its easy to throw parameters out of wack in a small tank, I just wouldn’t risk it.

19. Fishoholic23

Fishoholic23 Well Known Member Member

I have left fish for a week before, but I would only recommend a couple of days.

20. OP
    OP
    HaileStorm

I see, okay. So it's best to just do a water change and then feed them before I leave?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice