Question How Long Can I Keep Just Substrate In Tank?

Dejen

Reaction score
This is probably a dumb question, but how long can I keep only substrate in a tank before I add decorations and fill it with water?

For financial reasons, I don't want to invest in all of my decorations and plants just yet. I want to take my time with it (my first tank), but I want to get the process going so I can at least start visualize what I'm dealing with.

Could I put the aqua-soil and sand into my tank, sculpt it out a bit, and then leave it for a while before I add rocks, plants, and water? Is there any danger in it being exposed to the air outside of the bag? I feel like that shouldn't be a problem at all, but I figured I'd ask in case I'm missing something...

I have a 20-gallon long. This is what I'm getting:

&

HakimChef

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
As long as it's strained well the substrate won't cloud the water much, and the filter will remove the cloudiness/color. You can add decorations and water right after you add substrate if you want to.

OP
Dejen

Dejen

Reaction score
HakimChef said:
As long as it's strained well the substrate won't cloud the water much, and the filter will remove the cloudiness/color. You can add decorations and water right after you add substrate if you want to.
Sure, but I'm asking the opposite question. Will it still be good for planting if I keep it in the tank without water? Like basically, will it go bad if I take it out of the bag but don't put it in water for a few days or weeks?

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Unless your leaving it for 6 months it will make little difference in or out of the bag. I have one tank that has just sand it. I play around with different driftwood and stuff. Has had no water for years and I wouldn't hesitate to just add water and go with it.

OP
Dejen

Dejen

Reaction score
david1978 said:
Unless your leaving it for 6 months it will make little difference in or out of the bag. I have one tank that has just sand it. I play around with different driftwood and stuff. Has had no water for years and I wouldn't hesitate to just add water and go with it.
Okay thanks. My plan was to set up my hardscape and see how it looks before getting some carpet plants and starting a dry start method. But I wanted to know what the hardscape looked like before I ordered the plants... So it'll maybe be on its own without water for a week or two?

Should I keep it wet with a spray bottle, or does that only become necessary right before I put plants in?

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't see an issue with it drying out some.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom