How Long Can Fish Live In A Bag? Question

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by iancrayguy, Apr 14, 2018.

1. iancrayguy

iancrayguy Valued Member Member

Hi I was wondering how long can fish live a bag 3 days? Depending on the size?

2. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

I’m sure they could live more than three days. Most LFS that get fish from other counties take a few days to get to the buyer.

3. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Much depends on the size of the bag, how many fish, ammonia output, etc
    International fish sometimes takes a week or more with delays, etc.

But if you are referring to a few fish from the lfs that you are bring home, I know the longest I have had them in a bag was 2-3 hours with no ill effects.

Are you planning to go to an lfs out of the area? If so, there are things you can do to prepare ahead of time, etc if so.

4. OP
    OP
    iancrayguy

I am planning on going to Florida to possibly get some, I am on vacation and live in NY

5. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Current record for fish living in a bag that I have seen was two months. They were killifish, an Aphyosemion species as I recall. They did get pretty skinny, though.

Generally, a week is not a problem. Certain types of fish that are sensitive to ammonia may not last as long. I have bagged fish the night before an auction, driven 1-3 hours to the auction, had the bags sit on a table for 5-6 hours before being sold, and then they usually sit in a styro for another hour or two till the person leaves the auction, at which point they are going to be another 1-3 hours getting home before they even think about putting them in a tank.

In your situation, I would get a pad of ammonia absorbent Polyfilter, cut a small 1/2" square and put it in each bag. Even ammonia sensitive fish will live a week or two with this in the bag. That small square will suck up a lot of ammonia.

6. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

So how long will they be in a bag total time????

7. OP
    OP
    iancrayguy

2 days

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice