How long can fish go without food? 20 Gallon Tank

1. ApolloX54 Member Member

I have some Cories and Danios and was wondering how long they can go without food. Cause I just went a week without feeding them. Turkey Day... I feel so bad stuffing myself and they had nothing. :(. But Christmas Break is coming up and for me that is at most a few days short of a month that I won't be able to tend my fishies.

I was going to set up a 10 Gal to hold them during the break but I'm gonna be away from home most of it. I was thinking about getting those white feeders... I think they make a 14 day one... and then just go without for the other two weeks.

Good Idea?

2. gremlin Well Known Member Member

As long as they are well fed, they should be fine for a while. You can try a weekend/vacation feeder, but I have no experience with them. If there is any algae in the tank, they will feed off that also. Is there anyone who can tend them while you are gone? At least once a week?

3. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

depending on the size some fish can go up to 2 weeks without food. A feeder should work but it might make the water messy. It would be better if a person can come over to feed the fish.

4. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

The OP asked a question. He didn't say he was going to, he is searching for information. No reason to be disrespectful.

Apollo, from the information I've gathered, it's usually recommended to not have the fish go without food for more than seven days.

If you brought them home in the 10g, would you be able to to feed them once every seven days? Also, if you brought them home, you'd be able to keep an eye on the water parameters and keep up with your water changes.

Just a few thoughts and I hope this helps!

5. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

You don't even have to use a tank if it's out of the budget. You can move the filter and heater from your 20 gallon to a Rubbermaid container as a temporary home. I would not recommend leaving fish for a month even with an automatic feeder, but that's JMO.

6. btate617 Well Known Member Member

The not feeding the fish for 7 days or up to 2 weeks, I wouldn't use that for the fish you have. For full grown adult cichlids yes it would work, but not for the fish you have IMO.

Those vacation block feeders are , all they are good for is messing up your water.
    The auto feeders may work, but be warned they do malfunction and have been known to dump a ton of food in to the tank and then you have the same problem as using a block feeder.

Like said the best option would be to have someone feed them or find a way to bring them along.

Brian

7. click Well Known Member Member

I would also think about the water changes. I know the automatic feeders can drop a bit too much food at times, so the excess food could cause an increase in water parameters. Every thank is different but if there's a chance for the Nitrates to grow above the tolerance level, that should be something to take into consideration too.

8. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

i assume you are in college and are talking about your winter break? for us, the dorms would be locked and not at all accessible.

if this is the situation, nobody will be able to get in to feed them. they will not survive a month with no food. i think bringing them with you in a rubbermaid is probably the best option.

9. couesfanatic Member Member

Look at Eheims automatic fish feeder. I have left my fish(danios) for 3 weeks and a few days before and all went well. Eheims fish feeder is much better than the others because the food will not get wet. It has an internal fan to dry the food and it also keeps the food away from the water while being stored. You can also adjust the amount of food it dispenses.

You could risk it, but if I were you I would bring them home and have a parent, sibling or neighbor check on them periodically.

Some people on this website need to calm down. :;bb

10. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I do have an automatic fish feeder in my salon...it feeds our fin babies from sun-mon ..although our fish would be fine, i CHOOSE not to let them go without food..heres a link of the one we have

http://www.google.com/products?q=aq...esult_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBwQrQQwAA

it has worked great for over 5 years but spend the money on a good quality one..that way you know theres less chance for overfeeding and malfunctions...good luck!

Please refrain from rudeness and help the best of our abilities..thank you!

11. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Sorry ApolloX54, I know you didn't ask this but it's something you might want to ask about.
    My daughter's college takes the opportunity to fumigate the dorms while everyone is gone.

12. ApolloX54 Member Member

Ok well... some people are very touchy on this subject.

1. I've decided not to bring them home. My water chemistry is different and would cause too many problems. My fish and plants are flourishing at a 6 or below pH... Also seeing how my whole family is going on trips during break. I think it would be worse to go through all the moving and stuff just to have them sit in different water and still not get attention.

2. I live in on campus apt. So random people can't just come in, I know that is the best solution if I had that option.

3. I have a had great experience with the white weekend feeders. Never had a problem with cloudy water or anything. Now the green/brown ones I used once and it didn't dissolve at all. Not even considering automatic feeders.

4. I already have tanks at home, but they are neglected and dirty. I won't have time to clean and properly acclimate.

5. No, I do not believe there is any fumigation going on cause this is my second year here and they do not enter rooms when cleaning anyways.

After looking at the calender again it looks to be only 3 weeks and I know they make 14 days feeders. Whether or not they last that long is up in the air.

13. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

ONLY 3 weeks? lol ...thats a bit of time for the fin babies....the link i gave you is an awesome self feeder and wont leave anything leftover in the tank..you can set it to feed as much as needed but not overfeed......the weekend feeders will leave a huge residue in the tank and you wont be there for a good amount of time to change the water....but if you decided to go with the weekend feeders, which by the way only lasts 3-5 days, go with the gel ones..ive never seen a 14 day feeder..thats new to me....the white chalky ones do raise the ph from the substance in the feeder..but none of them will last 3 weeks as far as ive seen... either way, a once a day feeding will be fine for them and not make the water parimeters go nuts like the blocks would...good luck either way

14. crazedACD Member Member

I wouldn't so much worry about feeding (vacation feeder should be OK), but more or less something malfunctioning...do they turn the electricity off in the building while everyone's away? I always have a piece of hardware in my tanks going haywire, impellers stop turning, filter motor burns out, heater stops heating...I would really worry without someone there to check. Everyone must leave the dorms during break? Is there a roommate or friend in the building that could come and check?

15. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

I second Shawnie's suggestion for the gel feeders (they're not supposed to melt, by the way. The fish just peck at them as they need), and for another reason. The bits of food in them are kind of big, and tend to expand a bit as they get wet. We had a member lose a fish when too many of the pellets were released at once. A molly ate a bunch of them and they expanded in the molly's stomach. That was a particularly confusing death, too, because it almost looked like a pregnancy gone wrong. The gel packs don't have pellets in them, so this can't happen.

16. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I know they sell the 14 day pyramids at our petsmart and petco.

I am sure I'm going to get flamed for saying this: It sounds like you've already made up your mind. You came and asked for advice, and when every person told you it is a bad idea, you ignored it. You won't even consider an automatic feeder as Shawnie and couesfanatic suggested, like you say in #3 of your post. So if you weren't open to suggestions and had already made up your mind, why bother asking the question? ??? If you were looking for validation, you shouldn't need that from a website of strangers. And if you had started out giving us the entire situation (i.e. the travelling while you are at home, etc.) maybe we could have addressed that too.

Anyway, good luck to you and your fish, good luck on finals, and have an awesome break.

17. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

thats a first for me..never seen them before ...

18. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

19. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

20. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member