How long can canister filter be down?

RookieTank

My gasket seal broke on a fluval 406 and is going to arrive on Sunday. Can material and fish survive two days with no filtration?

Subhro

RookieTank said:
My gasket seal broke on a fluval 406 and is going to arrive on Sunday. Can material and fish survive two days with no filtration?
Not sure but I would put two airstones, one in the tank and another in the canister filter to keep the oxygen levels up. Fishes should definitely survive with the airstones, not sure about the BB. Also, don't feed the fish or feed very little so that there's no additional ammonia load in the tank. I have been there, done that during long power failures. Didn't see any ammonia or nitrite spike later.

Joker77

At least a couple days. When I moved my 150G my fx6 sat from thursday night till sat morning and the cycle survived. I did keep it full of tank water however. I imagine it would be much shorter timeframe if you kept it dry.

mattgirl

They probably can but if at all possible I would at least have a sponge filter or an airstone running in the tank. I feel sure the bacteria in the filter will be fine for a few days.

RookieTank

And if my 406 won't prime I assume it is because the gasket is shot and not creating a seal to siphon.
Is there anything else to check as to why it won't fill. It appeared to be running without the seal since the last cleaning but I can't restart it now since it won't fill up all the way.

mattgirl

I've never used a canister filter so I don't know but I would have to think they are sealed units. I would think all outside air would need to be kept out to keep the suction working properly. Like I said though, I've never used one so that may not be the case. Strange that it worked without the seal for a while though.

RookieTank

FYI for anyone reading this thread with a similar issue. I was able to get it started without the gasket by filling the inflow hose, reattached it with the lever to lock the hose in the up position. Attach it back to the canister and attach the out hose. Lower the lock lever and it created a siphon filling the canister. Appears to be working fine now.

Top Bottom