How long can camallanus worms live without fish?

EmmaTheCreeper

Hello! So I have some wild guppies. Found out they had some sort of parasite (multipule kinds of OVA parasites and today found some camallanus cotti worms). I also have wild shrimp and snails in there. I have metroplex and was contemplating treating them but thinking I’ll just throw the guppies back where I found them. My question is how long do I have to wait with the fish gone for the tank to be free of the camallanus worms. I want to keep the shrimp and snails and tank intact as it’s fully planted and well established.
I’ve been reading it’s about 3-5 weeks. Does this sound right? Thanks

bcfishtanks

It depends. I am a big fan of levamisole. I use it on all my new fish now in QT. It's a 3 week treatment that requires several doses, but very little work over all. The goal with the first dose is to kill worms in the fish. Then, in the following weeks, the fish work to pass any worms they have harbored inside them. Subsequent doses are used to kill any freshly hatched worms before they attach to hosts. It's safe for shrimp and snails.

That pretty little guy in my profile picture had them (with his partner, who I had to euthanize before the meds came in sadly... he's got a new mate now), and it worked great. There's a few places to get it. I just got mine off Amazon, but it took a full week to get to me. If you're only worried about shrimp and snails, they're just carriers (if I remember correctly) and won't be affected if you have to wait a while for the meds to come.

EmmaTheCreeper

It depends. I am a big fan of levamisole. I use it on all my new fish now in QT. It's a 3 week treatment that requires several doses, but very little work over all. The goal with the first dose is to kill worms in the fish. Then, in the following weeks, the fish work to pass any worms they have harbored inside them. Subsequent doses are used to kill any freshly hatched worms before they attach to hosts. It's safe for shrimp and snails.

That pretty little guy in my profile picture had them (with his partner, who I had to euthanize before the meds came in sadly... he's got a new mate now), and it worked great. There's a few places to get it. I just got mine off Amazon, but it took a full week to get to me. If you're only worried about shrimp and snails, they're just carriers (if I remember correctly) and won't be affected if you have to wait a while for the meds to come.
Ah ok. Looking online levamisole seemed to be the go to like you said! Does it go in food or the water?
But I’m not sure if it’s worth it for me. $20 isn’t too bad but for wild fish just doesn’t seem like it’s worth it. I think I’d just throw them back and spend the money on a new nice guppies.
good to know it’s shrimp n snail safe though! Does it get rid of them in the shrimps and snails too?
id throw the shrimp n snails back too but the trade of shrimp n snails I thinks illegal over here in Hawaii so the only way of obtaining them is through collecting in the wild. So I’d like to keep them for the next batch.
Do you know how long they carry them for? I’ve literally searched everywhere online and gone through several of my vet books and can only find stuff to do with the stages in the lifecycle. Not the times of how long they can survive in each. :/

bcfishtanks

It's hard to say how long they carry them, because you can't see them on the shrimp and snails. If you ever need to use levamisole, though, it goes in the water. It's a crystalline powder, and I drop it right over the filter output so it disperses quickly. The fish might think it's food, but none of my fish have ever put it in their mouths. They swim toward it and then realize it's not for their consumption.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
bcfishtanks
Replies
Views
AvalancheDave
Replies
Views
RyanC14
Replies
Views