Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

How Long Can Bacteria Live On Roots And Stones In A Bucket?

Discussion in 'Advanced Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by Dexter84, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Dexter84Valued MemberMember

Hey!

So im moving my 100 gallon tank this weekend and starting to make a plan already.

I want to move my roots and stones to buckets today but im afraid the bacteria on them will suffer.

Can it survive like 3 days in buckets?

2. BRPWell Known MemberMember

They might, as long as there is a food source and oxygen supply. An air stone might help.

3. mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

as long as you keep them under water some should survive. I would run an airstone in the bucket. As long as you protect the bacteria in the filter media what little you will lose on the roots and rocks shouldn't cause a cycle crash. mini-cycle maybe but short lived.

4. Dexter84Valued MemberMember

Alright hm i dont have any air stones. But if change like 30% of the water every day would that help?
    tho perhaps the chlorine from the tap water will ruin it..

5. Dexter84Valued MemberMember

Ok good to hear. Ye the filter bacteria will be running until i moved it so only for like 2-3 hours in a bucket.
    i will rinse the sand so will loose some there aswell thats why i want save it all on the roots/stones

6. mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

Using your water conditioner when you change the water would prevent that. You don't want to use untreated water on anything in your tank if you have chlorine in your source water.

You really don't need to change the water and really the lack of water movement shouldn't be a problem. It might get a bit stagnant though and you will probably start seeing an oily film on top of the water.

7. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Simply leave them 3 days in the bucket without waterchanging.

You filter is the most important thing.