How Long Can Bacteria Live On Roots And Stones In A Bucket?

Dexter84

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey!

So I'm moving my 100 gallon tank this weekend and starting to make a plan already.

I want to move my roots and stones to buckets today but I'm afraid the bacteria on them will suffer.

Can it survive like 3 days in buckets?

BRP

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They might, as long as there is a food source and oxygen supply. An air stone might help.

OP
Dexter84

Dexter84

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Alright hm I don't have any air stones. But if change like 30% of the water every day would that help?
tho perhaps the chlorine from the tap water will ruin it..

OP
Dexter84

Dexter84

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ok good to hear. Ye the filter bacteria will be running until I moved it so only for like 2-3 hours in a bucket.
I will rinse the sand so will loose some there aswell that's why I want save it all on the roots/stones

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
Dexter84 said:
Alright hm I don't have any air stones. But if change like 30% of the water every day would that help?
tho perhaps the chlorine from the tap water will ruin it..
Using your water conditioner when you change the water would prevent that. You don't want to use untreated water on anything in your tank if you have chlorine in your source water.

You really don't need to change the water and really the lack of water movement shouldn't be a problem. It might get a bit stagnant though and you will probably start seeing an oily film on top of the water.

Treeman

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
DoubleDutch said:
Simply leave them 3 days in the bucket without waterchanging.

You filter is the most important thing.
I put tap water in my tanks all the time to keep them topped off it won't hurt anything if you have a fungus growing on wood or what have you I've taken my wood out of the tank and let it out for weeks put it back in and within a couple of weeks it was back now if you are going to do a water change definitely add your stuff to take out the chlorine

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom