How long can a White Cloud Mountain Minnow survive out of water?

NanoFish4Life
My 10yr old niece left the hood off my aquarium earlier. Not sure for how long but I noticed it at 2:45pm PST...Noticed almost immediately I had a White Cloud missing. Have a group of 7 that always school together mid/upper tank so it was easy to notice one missing. Looked everywhere around the tank and it was nowhere to be found. I asked my niece if she netted it out and put it in a container or something. She's been removing some pest snails this weekend that came in on a live plant.

Fast forward to tonight I asked her about it again and wasn't getting anywhere. I said well it probably jumped out since you left the hood off help me find it so I don't have a rotting fish in my room...

About 7:15pm PST 4.5hrs after I noticed the fish missing my niece finds it in my room about 10 feet across the room from where the aquarium is. She said boy it smells over here like rotten food or something...then says omg I stepped on something what is it omg it's a fish. I saw it flopping on the floor.

It was in bad shape. Barely breathing. Looked kinda shriveled/dried up. I put it in a bucket with an air pump & airstone. It was belly up not moving then a couple minutes later it was swimming around right side up then belly up...then swimming again. It's chances probably aren't good.

So is my niece playing some kind of rotten trick on me or did my fish jump out of the tank and flop 10 feet and somehow survive out of water for 4.5+ hours? Logic tells me that's not possible but she swears up and down she didn't net it out and isn't playing around with me.

david1978
Not sure how long but fish are more durable then we give them credit for.

SM1199
Did she actually step on the fish? You won't know until you wait a few more hours/days and see if it's still alive.

aussieJJDude
Yeah, likely its the case. Had a kuhlI survive around the same time frame when it jumped out due to a waterchange that overflowed. Made a good recovery, a few water changes to reduce the chance of infection and dosed heavily with prime.

MissPanda
It is possible for a fish to flop far from the tank, but I have no clue about them surviving 4 hours out of water. Seems like too long, but my only experience watching a fish out of water is when I go fishing for trout and they don't last too long.

NanoFish4Life
david1978 said:
Not sure how long but fish are more durable then we give them credit for.
aussieJJDude said:
Yeah, likely its the case. Had a kuhlI survive around the same time frame when it jumped out due to a waterchange that overflowed. Made a good recovery, a few water changes to reduce the chance of infection and dosed heavily with prime.
Oh wow that's crazy. I wouldn't think any fish could make it more than a few minutes. Thanks for the reply.

MissNoodle
MissPanda said:
It is possible for a fish to flop far from the tank, but I have no clue about them surviving 4 hours out of water. Seems like too long, but my only experience watching a fish out of water is when I go fishing for trout and they don't last too long.
I really wonder... ive had a guppy jump and not be found for 30 min+ and lived. Some danios who did not.

Fished when younger... my cousin caught a bullhead catfish and they left it in the back of a truck, not in a bucket or water, they forgot about it. 3 days later it was still alive.

NanoFish4Life
SM1199 said:
Did she actually step on the fish? You won't know until you wait a few more hours/days and see if it's still alive.
She says she did. I heard her commotion and saw her lifting her foot up from where the fish was on the floor

MissPanda
MissNoodle said:
I really wonder... ive had a guppy jump and not be found for 30 min+ and lived. Some danios who did not.

Fished when younger... my cousin caught a bullhead catfish and they left it in the back of a truck, not in a bucket or water, they forgot about it. 3 days later it was still alive.
Catfish don't surprise me, they've evolved. I was watching a documentary on one species where the water levels receded and they survived in mud until water levels returned.

MissNoodle
MissPanda said:
Catfish don't surprise me, they've evolved. I was watching a documentary on one species where the water levels receded and they survived in mud until water levels returned.
Its just fascinating how different they all are.

SM1199
NanoFish4Life said:
She says she did. I heard her commotion and saw her lifting her foot up from where the fish was on the floor
How is it today?

NanoFish4Life
MissNoodle said:

That's insane.
SM1199 said:
How is it today?
Unfortunately, it didn't make it through the night. I had high hopes I could nurse it back to health since it was some sort of Zombie fish but no bueno ☹

SM1199 said:
How is it today?
Thanks for checking in though, I appreciate it.

SM1199
NanoFish4Life said:
Unfortunately, it didn't make it through the night. I had high hopes I could nurse it back to health since it was some sort of Zombie fish but no bueno ☹
Don't beat yourself up. A tiny fish out of water for multiple hours was already defying the odds, and honestly, I'm amazed it was even still alive after it was supposedly stepped on! Neither of those things should have been survived on their own, let alone combined.

johnbirg
Many years ago when I had a saltwater tank I had a snowflake eel climb out of the small triangular opening in corner of the glass lid at some point during the night. Next morning found a very dehydrated eel covered in carpet fluff under the stand. Put him back in the tank fully expecting that he would die. Several years later when he outgrew the tank I gave him to Seaview Aquariums who put him in their huge octagonal marine display tank. Visited him every time I went there until they sold him at which time he was over 18 years old. Could still be alive today for all I know.

NanoFish4Life
johnbirg said:
Many years ago when I had a saltwater tank I had a snowflake eel climb out of the small triangular opening in corner of the glass lid at some point during the night. Next morning found a very dehydrated eel covered in carpet fluff under the stand. Put him back in the tank fully expecting that he would die. Several years later when he outgrew the tank I gave him to Seaview Aquariums who put him in their huge octagonal marine display tank. Visited him every time I went there until they sold him at which time he was over 18 years old. Could still be alive today for all I know.
Wow, that's crazy. Cool story thanks for sharing. Hopefully he's still around for people to enjoy viewing, that'd be awesome.

CHJ
We had a bullhead my wife caught at a wedding. She is a fish whisperer and can just walk into lakes and bare hand fish.
At the wedding while we were sleeping there was a splash.
When I got up after noon I noticed the bullhead cup was empty. Then I checked the floor and found a dried up bullhead. His skin was crispy.
I pitched him back in the bowl of water and he came back to life so we named him "Scabs" due to his crispiness.

Top Bottom