How Long Can A Fahaka Puffer Survive Without Food?

Discussion in 'Puffers' started by Serinc97, May 18, 2019.

1. Serinc97New MemberMember

7 inch fahaka puffer
    30" tank

2. Thibault DrakeValued MemberMember

I just need a bit of clarification, what is a 30” tank?

3. WraithenFishlore VIPMember

I would assume based on size alone it could go a couple of weeks. I know those guys go through food like crazy though so I may be completely off base. For future reference, I wouldn't bother posting the tank size for a question like this. Best case is people think you are ok. Worst case is a brow beating for not having a bigger tank yet. I've seen adults almost give up fish keeping because the police on forums demanded that the keeper is the devil for having a betta in a tank less than 5 gallons.

Hopefully we have some fahaka people that know the answer. There are forums devoted to larger fish that may have already posted this for you. Something about monster fish.

4. Serinc97New MemberMember

30 inch tank

5. FishcatWell Known MemberMember

I think the question is, what are the other dimensions, and how many gallons does the tank hold?
    We would also be able to help you more if we knew more about the circumstances. Is this a new fish, and is it refusing to eat, or are you having trouble finding food for it, or do you have to be away and don’t have someone to feed it for you?

6. Serinc97New MemberMember

its refusing to eat ,its only eat 4 feeder fish since i bought him at 8/5/2019
    and i heard that fahaka usually eats a lot and more aggressive but i put some other fish in to test but he ignore them

7. WraithenFishlore VIPMember

Got this from the live aquaria website
    diet should consist mainly of crustaceans such as brine shrimp, krill, mollusks, and earthworms

They aren't usually a fish predator. Maybe feed it more of its preferred diet and see if that helps.

Also, it is a wild fish. You realize it is highly likely with puffers that they arrive with parasites and worms? I dont know of many successful puffer keepers that dont deworm and treat new puffers. I would stop the feeder fish, add in suggested foods, and begin a treatment immediately if you want any real chance of success with such an expensive fish.

8. bridralliw132New MemberMember

I keep many different species of puffers and never ever feed feeder fish to him. stop feeding feeder fish. You don't know what's in the feeder tank. I haven't seen a clean feeder fish tank ever always see dead fish in those tanks.
    Earthworms are excellent try dangling it with large tweezers. Once you get him established on earthworms Entice him he wants to hunt then move to other forms of foods snails is a MUST then clams and other hard shelled foods. Entice him he wants to hunt. Needs a large tank. all puffers go through a non eating stage. At the beginning. he should by now eating regularly. Which concerns me. Show pics of the setup so we can try to help you better.[​IMG]