How Long Before I Can Turn My Filter Back On After Adding Sand Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Caroline J, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Caroline J

Caroline JValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +55
    Experience:
    Just started
    Hello! So yesterday I finally added sand to my 20 gallon. It’s been in there almost a full 24 hours now. When should I be able to turn my filter back on? The water is growing quite stagnant at this point. I’ve heard a couple people say to wait until it has all completely settled and there is no cloudiness, but at this point I’m quite confident that all the large particles have settled and the rest is just the result of not enough rinsing. Should I be safe to turn my filter back on or should I wait until it’s completely clear? I just don’t want my filter being messed up. Thanks in advance! Edit: also, would water changes help with the cloudiness any? And if so, about when should I do a water change/how much should I take out? Image1554674337.166420.

2. Thor555

Thor555Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +57
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I washed my sand very thoroughly, filled the tank with water very slowly and turned the filters on immediately. Water was clear within 24 hours.

As far as water changes, I've never changed it to address "cloudy water" unless it was caused by me overfeeding the fish.

3. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,130
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    If you want to preform a last minute waterchange, something like 80% to really get out most of the particles in the water column would work....

As for turning on the filter, it should be fine. My tank was similar in cloudiness, and didn't damage filter at all. Its the grains of sand that lead to issue.

4. OP
    OP
    Caroline J

Ratings:
    +55
    Experience:
    Just started
    Ah ok that’s true! Thank you so much, there are a lot of little particles floating around I can see. I appreciate the advice!

5. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +6,102
    Experience:
    3 years
    It looks good, the cloudiness is normal but the severity depends on the sand and how well it was washed. I ran my filter as normal with floss and the cloudiness was almost clear after a day.

6. OP
    OP
    Caroline J

Ratings:
    +55
    Experience:
    Just started
    Thank you! It definitely could be worse. Ah ok I’ve heard about the floss quite a bit, i appreciate the help.

Become a Fishlore Member