How long before euthenasia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

image_image

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My balloon molly has been at the bottom of the tank now for about 2 weeks. It's probably due to stress since the water is fine... She gave birth 2 weeks ago (to under developed, still born fry), I moved back home, and I moved them to their new tank. She isn't eating. Every now and then she struggles to get up, but can't seem to do it unless she is helped. She is also breathing rapidly.

My question is - should I euthenize her, or is there something I can do to help?

image_image

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Right now everything is 0ppm. As of the past week, the fish have been living in the 20g tank. It's not quite cycled - which I understand wouldn't help the stress, but I was kinda hoping the larger space would help. But she is neither better or worse.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How many days has she been in the new tank?

Do you have a sinking food, like algae wafers? Maybe if the food is right there in front of her she might eat it.

-Lisa

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
As far as your question about euthanasia, I think it's a judgment call that you'll have to make. If you feel like she's suffering, and you feel like you need to end her misery, then you do it. Otherwise, you try to fix it. I know the answer is vague, but we can't really make that decision for you.

image_image

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I figured it would be a personal decision, wanted to ask anyway.

I've tried soaking peas in garlic, even their regular flake food, to get her to eat. Neither fish took interest. I tried nori, but the male fish, Jim, will nip at it and I don't know if fish have taste buds, or if its a texture thing, but he was like a little kid eating lima beans. Maybe soaking the nori in garlic? I tried giving them betta pellets. But Jim got one stuck in his mouth the second time. So I don't feed those to them anymore.

I've been doing 50% water changes daily (in the 20g) with prime. Could this be why the ammonia is 0? I even went one day without a water change, and still the ammonia was 0ppm. Unless I'm doing something wrong. I'll retest the water.

image_image

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How many days has she been in the new tank?

Do you have a sinking food, like algae wafers? Maybe if the food is right there in front of her she might eat it.

-Lisa
I tried sinking flakes. She ate one. But when I tried it a few more times, she either swam away from it, or totally ignored it. She's been in the new tank since Monday or Tuesday.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I wish I had an answer for you. I know in situations like this people need an objective voice to say "It's time..." or else they'll keep going back and forth and if they do decide upon euthanasia, they'll always wonder if they made the right decision.

-Lisa

image_image

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
API master test kit. But I have trouble sometimes seeing if there is any green in yellow and whatnot. (I'm a photographer. Having to color correct images on a computer screen has made looking at colors a whole new ball game for me)

Also, I called several fish stores to see if they carry vita-chem. None of them carried it, but one offered to order it for me. Before I agree to that, is there any equivalent to vitachem that I can use?

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm the same way with the API colors! All those years of art training are impairing my ability to test my aquarium water.

-Lisa

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've never had mollies so don't know how hardy they are inasmuch as using them for cycling a tank.

Am I understanding correctly that you use a water conditioner for treating your tap water and then another conditioner for the tank after a water change?

image_image

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm the same way with the API colors! All those years of art training are impairing my ability to test my aquarium water.

-Lisa
Life needs ctrl Z so you can toggle between the changes in the test tube.

image_image

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've never had mollies so don't know how hardy they are inasmuch as using them for cycling a tank.

Am I understanding correctly that you use a water conditioner for treating your tap water and then another conditioner for the tank after a water change?
They lived to tell the tale of living in super toxic water (most of my readings were off the chart a good chunk of the time) and lived thru the levels going down to normal. I'd like to think they'll survive this cycle.

I use Prime by itself, no tap water conditioner. Today I did not use Prime, but I did use tap water conditioner. (I did the change before I made my very first post).

pinksprklmonkey

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My mollies are very hardy. They didn't live through a cycle but lived through a horrible outbreak of ICH that pretty much wiped everything else out in my tank. They're tough little buggers. I obviously can't help you make that call... and I know its hard, I had to put down 5 cherry barbs at different times due to the ICH. Is she still swimming okay? I noticed that when mine started to go (with really no hope of recovering) they swam sort of sideways. They also would swim in small bursts and sometimes run into things. They also were gasping for air. That's when I made the choice.

image_image

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My mollies are very hardy. They didn't live through a cycle but lived through a horrible outbreak of ICH that pretty much wiped everything else out in my tank. They're tough little buggers. I obviously can't help you make that call... and I know its hard, I had to put down 5 cherry barbs at different times due to the ICH. Is she still swimming okay? I noticed that when mine started to go (with really no hope of recovering) they swam sort of sideways. They also would swim in small bursts and sometimes run into things. They also were gasping for air. That's when I made the choice.
She hasn't swam since 2 weeks ago.

GoGreen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes this is the hard part about fish-keeping. I am going through a problem with one of my fish, too. I feel for you! If your fish isn't swimming or eating, you need to think about your next step. Is it possible to isolate her in a quarantine tank, so you can monitor her easily, and keep her water really clean? Adding vitachem and stresscoat in this situation may help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom