How Large Of A School?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Books&Fish, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Books&Fish

Books&FishWell Known MemberMember

Hi! I have the following currently in my 75g:

8 cory cats
    8 danios
    8 rosy barbs
    5 dojo loaches
    2 platys

I would like to add 2 more female platys eventually, so taking that into consideration, how many more danios can I add to the school--2, 4, 6, 8?
    @TexasDomer @BottomDweller

2. ashenwelt

ashenweltWell Known MemberMember

What type of danios?

3. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Do you just want to up the platies or all the schools?

I think you could do this
    15 cories
    12 danios
    12 rosy barbs
    5 dojo loaches
    8 platies

or
    8 cories
    8 danios
    8 rosy barbs
    5 dojo loaches
    15 platies

4. OP
    OP
    Books&Fish

They're zebra danios. Sorry, I was just chatting about them and forgot that detail in this post.

I didnt realize I was that lightly stocked. I want to max the danios, since they stay swimming at the top. I can't get my hands on female rosy barbs, and my males fight pretty bad. I would hate to add more of them. I think texasdomer told me previously I was on the edge of being overstocked on the bottom with 5 dojos and 8 peppered corys. I have 1 male and 1 female platy. I had 2 more females previously that I would like to replace. He chases her quite a bit.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  5. BottomDweller

Ok so how about this
    8 cories
    15 danios
    8 rosy barbs
    5 dojo loaches
    4-6 platys (1 male and 3-5 females)

6. OP
    OP
    Books&Fish

I was thinking:
    5 dojo
    8 peppered cory
    8 rosy barb
    4 platys (1M:4F)
    16? zebra danios

Extra 7 danios and extra 4 female platys- great! Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  7. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Adding more male rosy barbs may help actually, as more males will help to spread the aggression.

8. OP
    OP
    Books&Fish

Hmmm. Interesting. I started with 9. One was picked on until he had a swim bladder issue and subsequent infection (swelling). He died and the 8 remaining still pick on each other. Unfortunately, the LFS buyer won't get more rosys in because she "doesn't like them." Not that she ever ordered any females to begin with (found out later and the hard way.) I really like my rosys, if I could find 8 females or so, I would go that route.

I just found someone on eBay who has and is willing to sell me females. If I nix the extra danios and include the danios, what number females should I order:
    With 15 total danios: order 6 female rosys?
    Without extra danios (keep the 8 I have): order 10 female rosys?
    @TexasDomer @BottomDweller

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  9. Redshark1

Redshark1Well Known MemberMember

With some species of fish I have observed that males will pick on the weakest male until it dies, then pick on the second weakest male etc. until there is only one left.

10. OP
    OP
    Books&Fish

That's probably what's happening. And if I add females, they chase them into exhaustion/stress. Why can't they just be happy? :confused:

11. BottomDweller

Ok how about this
    8 cories
    8-10 danios
    18 rosy barbs (8 male and 10 females, it's best to have a few more females than males)
    5 dojo loaches
    4 platys (1 male and 3 females)

The males will probably still chase each other a little but I'd be surprised if they did it to the point where they killed each other. Most schooling fish do fight a little.

12. OP
    OP
    Books&Fish

Sounds great. I'll work on getting those numbers up on the danios, rosys, and platys. Thanks!

13. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

What type of cories?

14. Redshark1

Redshark1Well Known MemberMember

You might be surprised, but chasing leads to stress which makes fish more vulnerable to disease and eventually death.

I would not be surprised as I have observed this a number of times at first hand.

The solution would be to go straight to the single male with females scenario rather than letting it develop.

15. OP
    OP
    Books&Fish

They're peppered corys, all kept at 70F. No worries :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice