how it all began!!, ammonia on the rise

dazzler

Valued Member
Reaction score
Welcome all, this is how it all began: after living with my flatmates for two years now and watching them not take too greater care of their 55 gallon(i assume here) tank i decided to take over maintenance and care minus the feeding of their two bobble eyed goldfish. Mysteroiusly something bit me and hard they call it "the bug" and i have it. will never go and get rid of it either. after months of pestering the flatmate to hand over tthe tank to a more faithful owner(me) who will learn to coax them into a life of happiness and glory.

so it failed and off i went to e-bay and purchased a 250litre 4ft tank to pour my desire into the "grandaddy" tank as it is now known.
the tank is set up. aquascape is in the filters and heaters on. and the ammonia drops are going in. also in there i have a stocking full of seeded gravel to help things along.
next thing next is the forever growing thought of real vs fake plants(fake plants are in right now) im going to have to study up on this one
then the best part of the whole deal FISH SHOPPING!!!! what to stock it with!

So now in this humble abode of mine i have 3 tanks the "grandaddy" a small 5gallon (that now houses the 2 bobble eyed goldfish!) and that 55 gallon sitting in the garage.
pictures will arrive soon. just as soon as i can get my hands on a digital camera

cheers for reading time to get the ball rolling
regards Dazzler

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Re: how it all began!!

Awesome, glad you got one. Are you still going to do that bridge thing? Not sure on the goldfish but they might need a bigger tank, if you don't know that already.

dazzler

Valued Member
Reaction score

yip !,have done the bridge thing, and it looks right on!!!! it might be a bit fiddily to gravel vac but i will wait and see for that... yeah i know about the goldfish i will have to measure the tank to see the gallonage. you know the funny thing is though they have never been more active since i put them in there...go figure!!!

dazzler

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Well there are some types that stay small but they still should have a fairly large tank and good filtration. Well depending on the bridge you might just be able to pick it up or figure a way so that the filter output keeps the stuff flowing under it.

dazzler

Valued Member
Reaction score
well progress has been made over the the last coupla days, ammonia is on the rise now up to 1 from .25 nitrites are also the same rising on up. i got some new matrix stones( australian product) straight of the filter at the lfs shot home and planted them in my two filters and whammo instant progress. i also saw what i was told was a barb that was yellow to view and had a single black spot just before his tail fin can anyone indentify him for him i cant seem to find a picture on the net so maybe it is not a barb???

regards dazzler

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
can you describe the fish a little better?

dazzler

Valued Member
Reaction score
hi  ATM well bud, i was told they were barbs. they are yellow in colour and you can kinda see their organs however they are not transparent. they have a small black spot just prior to their tail fin. i am thinking i will just cruise back on down to the lfs and ask. im off to the doctors today and will go there on the way back

thanks for you help, im sorry but thats the only decription i can give. they are roughly 1 inch long

regards    Dazzler

ha! went to lfs and were told they were gold barbs does that sound about right ?????

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom