How is this thing still alive !!

1. Fitzy The Fish Initiate Member

Ok in one of my tanks i had Harlequin Rasboras. 5 of them died in the first week .. So we went and got the water tested and the ph and ammonia is good but the nitrite and nitrate is off the scale IN THE WRONG DIRECTION. It got messed up because we were told to completely start again with it and clean the glass and the gravel and everything. So we did that but we used soapy water on the glass and all the soap chemicals got stuck in the glass and keep producing bad stuff for the tank. But this one fish ( i call him Super Fish ) is still alive with all the bad nitrite and nitrate. So can someone please tell me how he is still alive ??

2. Jake the Fish Member Member

~Bumping this thread so you might get some replies~

Also, Super Fish looks lonely.

3. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

jake its only been 25 mins ;)LOL you dont need to bump a thread...im sure members have a ton of advice but it is the holidays and it hasnt been up to long ;)

some fish will tolerate things more than others..just because its surving, doesnt mean its thriving...daily partial water changes are a must to keep him alive ...finding some prime will also help ALLOT as it will detox the ammonia/nitrites which can kill all fish...even some fish have lasting effects that dont always show up until later from the cycle process...

is the tank all cleaned without soaps and residue's now?

4. Jake the Fish Member Member

Lol, My bad.:;banaman

5. Fitzy The Fish Initiate Member

Yea

6. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Hi, welcome to fishlore. I see from your aquarium information that you don't know about the nitrogen cycle. You should read the link in my signature. :)

Oh, and don't add new fish until your tank is cycled. :)