How Is This Stocking?

1. TommyBear

TommyBear Initiate Member

I have a 10gal with a betta, 3 male guppies and 4 female guppies. How does this stocking sound to yall? Also my betta is not aggressive towards the guppies at all.

2. Simply Fish

Simply Fish Member Member

3. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

It is overstocked and I wouldn't recommend keeping any tankmates with bettas under 20 gallons.. Bettas also may be nice and all to guppies for the first few months and then suddenly it kills/becomes aggressive towards the guppies.

4. B

Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

The guppies alone are too much in my opinion. Max that a 10 gallon can hold with a lot of water changes is 5 guppies (3-4 is better). Let alone all the babies that'll produce.

I'd aim for a 20 gallon if you want to keep all those fish together. That doesn't account for many guppy babies, though.

5. DHIWZ

DHIWZ Member Member

Bettas and guppies are a combination that does NOT go well together. With their long flowing fins guppies look too much like mini Bettas to coexist peacefully with the real thing.

As said above, you are also overstocked. Either get a Betta or 5 Guppies (all male, otherwise keep a 1:2 male to female ratio and prepare to cull babies like your life depended on it).

6. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

7. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldn't keep bettas and guppies together in a 10 gal tank. Also, I wouldn't do 7 guppies in a ten gallon, that seems too much to me.

8. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

as stated above , Bettas should be housed alone in a 5g-10g with some shrimp and 1 or 2 Nerite snails.

In a 10g with male and female guppies it'll be overstocked very fast with all fry.

you should make decision as to whether you would like a Betta or more of a community set up?

9. OP
    OP
    TommyBear

TommyBear Initiate Member

I might be getting a 20 or 15 gal soon, so if i do the guppies will go there i also have a 5.5 on standby for the betta. As for the guppies over populating its not an isuess because my brother has fish that will eat the guppies/fry and so do I. I have just been trying to find a solution for my betta cause he goes into depression when ever hes in a tank alone (i've tried keeping him alone several times he just stops eating and lays down and wont get up.) he's terrified of shrimp.

I will take everything all of you said into consideration and try and get a bigger tank for the guppies and something else for the betta.

10. California L33

California L33 Well Known Member Member

I thought the primary focus of the AqAdvisor calculator was water chemistry- establishing a sustainable nitrogen cycle and minimizing the chances of an unexpected ammonia spike. If that's the case it would seem volume would be the most important variable. That said, it does seem to be quite conservative.

11. Simply Fish

Simply Fish Member Member

I completely agree! It should DEFINITELY not be your only source. My bad for not clarifying!

12. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Aqadvisor is inaccurate. As to the stock, I wouldn't do guppies with a betta in a 10g and female guppies aren't really ideal in a 10g either imo.