How Is This Stocking For A 20 Gallon Long?

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm pretty sure those loaches are fine for a 20, I've seen them recommended a few times for 20's, especially 20 longs. Really the only thing I want to mention is to make sure and feed those mystery snails some good protein. They don't just eat algae, actually they barely eat algae, and they stop eating once full. They'll eat a lot more than you expect, and they have tons of personality. It looks fine to me, but I have basically zero knowledge of peacock gudgeons, so I'll have to let someone else give it the final OK.

Ravynn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would personally suggest this:

12x Celestial Pearl Danios
10-12x Kuhli Loaches
5x
2x

The kuhlis will be a lot more fun with those numbers

Lantonor

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ValerieAdams said:
I think (not completely sure) that the loaches will outgrow your tank
They're really slender, they just grow pretty long (around 4") I think they'd be fine for the tank. If this tank goes well I may get a bigger tank if this tank goes well, I just don't want to go too crazy since it's my first one. I think I'm gonna call all my loaches ramen because they look like a bunch of noodles. Thanks for the input though!

Rtessy said:
I'm pretty sure those loaches are fine for a 20, I've seen them recommended a few times for 20's, especially 20 longs. Really the only thing I want to mention is to make sure and feed those mystery snails some good protein. They don't just eat algae, actually they barely eat algae, and they stop eating once full. They'll eat a lot more than you expect, and they have tons of personality. It looks fine to me, but I have basically zero knowledge of peacock gudgeons, so I'll have to let someone else give it the final OK.
I've seen this said a lot, to overfeed your mystery snails and that they eat and poop a lot more than you'd expect. I'll be sure to get them some protein/calcium rich food. Thanks for the tip!

Ravynn said:
I would personally suggest this:

12x Celestial Pearl Danios
10-12x Kuhli Loaches
5x
2x

The kuhlis will be a lot more fun with those numbers
10 Kuhli Loaches seems like a lot, but imagining them swimming around seems really fun! I'll try to see if I can get maybe 8 instead of 10 or 12, since I really don't want to sacrifice the peacock gudgeons. If this tank goes well (it's my first) I can get an even bigger tank and really pack their school then! Thanks for the tip

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If you want snails for effectiveness, I would go with nerites.

You could have a lot more nerite snails than mystery snails.

Your stocking seems good. I would recommend to plant the tank. It will look stunning!

Lantonor

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
75g Discus Tank said:
If you want snails for effectiveness, I would go with nerites.

You could have a lot more nerite snails than mystery snails.

Your stocking seems good. I would recommend to plant the tank. It will look stunning!
Thanks! I just chose mystery snails over other snails because they seem a bit bigger and more personable. I can also control their population much easier since it'd be pretty easy to see when the snail lays its eggs.

I have a question about actually stocking the aquarium to anyone who might be able to help me out. How would I go about stocking with these fish in order to avoid an ammonia spike? The CPDs and Peacock Gudgeons are relatively expensive at my LFS, so I really don't want to risk losing any of them.

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Lantonor said:
Thanks! I just chose mystery snails over other snails because they seem a bit bigger and more personable. I can also control their population much easier since it'd be pretty easy to see when the snail lays its eggs.

I have a question about actually stocking the aquarium to anyone who might be able to help me out. How would I go about stocking with these fish in order to avoid an ammonia spike? The CPDs and Peacock Gudgeons are relatively expensive at my LFS, so I really don't want to risk losing any of them.
Well nerite snails won't need population control as they can't hatch in freshwater.

For stocking, do the schools in batches. Not all at once.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom