How Is She Still Pregnant?

1. Frani

Frani New Member Member

7BE64D26-F759-4B83-98CB-AEB4294215EC.jpeg FB639719-4B5D-414E-BD60-E07580CB193C.jpeg the photos above are from her now and the ones below are from a month ago. A0DA44F1-17BF-41FB-8544-D49E7804B159.jpeg E2039AFC-35AA-4600-9467-1C1AF9D9FD85.jpeg i got this platy from the fish store about a month ago and she looked very pregnant then but hasn’t given birth. She is not bloated, and her scales aren’t sticking out.

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!

Not surprising at all; most livebearers can hold and utilize sperm for at least 3 months after one contact with a male (with a gestation period of about a month, they could have three batches, or even more)

3. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

Mine has delivered a few then a few days later delivers some more. She still looks very pregnant. Are you sure she hasn’t delivered some that were eaten? Mine is perpetually pregnant. So glad I’m not a platy! Lol

4. OP
    OP
    Frani

Frani New Member Member

I don’t know, her appetite hasn’t changed, and I never saw any fry at any point either. She just started to get a little boxy as well, it doesn’t show it very well in the old photos but back then she was very round.

5. Goldiemom

She’s definitely huge. Do you have plants the fry could hide in? I found 6 last week that we’re easily a week old. They had hidden in some plants and didn’t Get eaten. Today, I saw one teeny tiny one dart out and back in under a plant. They are super fast and great at hiding.

6. Goldiemom

I only have one female and she is dropping them a little at a time.

7. OP
    OP
    Frani

Frani New Member Member

Hmm, all I have is amazon leaf plants

8. OP
    OP
    Frani

Frani New Member Member

Update: she has given birth! I have found one baby so far and have transferred it to my other tank.

9. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Yay! Congrats, you’re a grandma now haha!