How Is My Stocking Plan

Photobelle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am currently working on cycling a 20 long with a pregnant platy and 2 snails (just ended up this way). Once it is cycled my plan is below. I have black sand, 2 pieces of driftwood with 3 Anubias, several decorations and fake plants. I am running an ac 30 and aqueon quietflow 10 as filters and 2 air stones. Does anyone see any issues with these fish? Any suggestions? I have 2 kids under 3 so we like active fish. I will not be doing any stocking until June and hopefully we are cycled by then. Thank you

3 platies (assuming 2 fry survive or we end up with 2 female fry)
2 nerite snails
6 dainty cories
6 harlequin Rasboras
6 neon tetra

I will add I also considered glofish danios and cherry barbs and also may get some ghost shrimp. So if any of these would work better tell me why!

Attachments

RainBetta

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Your stocking looks fine to me! I would add a large centerpiece fish possibly, like a honey gourami, or maybe even a dwarf gourami. Or you could bump up one school and and watch them all swim in one huge clump.
-2 platies
-2 Nerites
-6 cories
-10 neons or cherry barbs
-4 ghost shrimp
-1 dwarf/honey gourami

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would nix one of the two schools. It will be too crowded mid-level. Perhaps try upping one school a bit and/or go with the honey gourami (you could do up to 3) suggested above. Unlike dwarf & other gourami, honey can be kept with other honeys.
I suggest stocking slowly since 1. Better for your bacteria to adjust and 2. The kids will appreciate each addition more. Best wishes! Enjoy!

Photobelle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would nix one of the two schools. It will be too crowded mid-level. Perhaps try upping one school a bit and/or go with the honey gourami (you could do up to 3) suggested above. Unlike dwarf & other gourami, honey can be kept with other honeys.
I suggest stocking slowly since 1. Better for your bacteria to adjust and 2. The kids will appreciate each addition more. Best wishes! Enjoy!
How big do they get? Do I need floating plants for them? Maybe just the Rasboras (I think I like them best) and then get a few honeys? So

2 snails
6 dainty cories
6 harlequin Rasboras or cherry barbs
3 honey gourami
6 ghost shrimp

Photobelle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How big do the honeys get? Do I need floating plants for them? I am actually thinking I like the glofish danios as the cories are silver and the honeys are more pale so I think they splash of color would be nice. Would you do the honeys over more platies? How many honeys would you do? I am thinking 2? I'm not sure if I should just add more pretty colored platies.

2 snails
6 dainty cories
6 glofish danios
2 honey gourami
6 ghost shrimp

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Mine is... this big (can you see me holding my fingers apart?). Sorry I stink at estimating size. Seriouslyfish.com says 45-55mm at maximum standard length.

Photobelle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I think I am close to cycling. Although I an still waiting for her to have the babies and our vac. Once I return though I want to start stocking. Which fish would you get first? Also since the cories, danio/Barb's/rasbora's are so small (still deciding which school to get with the cories) can I get all 6 at once or is that too much?

Photobelle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you for the honey gourami suggestion! I am definitely getting 3 of them they are so cute!

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would think you could get all 6 of one group at once. Just check your water daily & be prepared for a mini-cycle bump - which you manage just as you are now! This has the makings of a very nice tank!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom