How is my Lighting

1. hobo Member Member

I have a 29 gallon planted tank that has a hood and a light fixture that holds one florescent tube 2 feet long. I don’t think this is going to be enough light and I’m not sure if I can get replacement bulb strong enough or if it will even run on the cheap ballast it has. So for now I have 2 25w CFL’s that are mounted on their side. They are in the hood I got from my 10 gallon. I have it sitting in the spot the new light should go it’s about 2 inches above the water and 16 inches above the gravel the light shines through glass that keeps the moisture out. Is 2 25w CFL’s OK for a 29Gallon or should I have more watts. I like the CFL’s for the cost I don’t want to spend allot of money. I have the lights on for 8 hrs a day
    What are your thoughts on this?

2. CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

Well what substrate do you have? And do you use root tabs or liquid ferts?

3. TayJay76 Member Member

What kind of plants are you keeping?

If I were you, I would by another fixture like you have with the ten gallon one and put it on the other side. You'll get a total of 100w which is about 3.3 wpg. That would work great for low to medium light requirement plants.

Like CichlidSWAGA said, what gravel and ferts are you currently using?

4. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

50w over a 29g tank puts you in the medium-low category. You are slightly under 2wpg. I think it's fine.

If you go any higher then that then co2 and fertlizers are a must. Depends on what you want to do. What plants do you have?

5. CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

If the aquarium info is up to date then they are listed there :)

6. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree simply because those cheap incandescent hoods (often without reflectors) mean that the op will likely lose a good bit of light due to restrike. This is just one of the pitfalls associated with using wpg as a measure of your lighting- there are more factors that come into play. For example, comparable wattage of incandescent, fluorescent, compact fluoresecent, t5 ho, mh are going to yield vastly different results.

I would pair the 2 ft bulb that was on the tank before, with the compact fluorescent screw in bulbs. You may be able to grow some med light plants.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

7. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Ohhhhh, I didn't realize they were incandescent. I take back what I said.

8. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

They aren't, but based on the incandescent hoods I have used for screw in CFs, a lot of light will still be lost.

9. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Oh I see. Thanks harpua. :)