How is my Cycle doing?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by NoSCO, Mar 20, 2006.

1. NoSCONew MemberMember

Hello everyone,

This is my first post, although not my first visit to FL. I started reading when I was on night shifts last week, and boy have I learned a lot! :) But I was wondering if someone can help me out?

Now I understand the general principles of cycling a tank, from what I have read from numerous sources. I understand that for my tank to be considered 'cycled', I need no ammonia, no nitrIte and a reasonable level of nitrAte. Can someone help me interpret my water results? My tank has been fishless-cycling now for 12 days with only the following done:

Occasional 'feeding' of a pinch of flakes (every 2 or 3 days)
    So far a whole 40ml bottle of Cycle (over the 12 day period, in iirc, 3 equally spread doses
    No water changes (evaporation and testing top-up only)

Tank Details

Size: (LBH) 500x250x300mm
    Capacity: 37.5L (8.2 Imperial Gallons)
    Born: 09th March 2006
    Temp: Maintained 22C

Water Parameters
    Code:
    [b]10.03.06[/b] - pH: 8.0, NO2: 0.1mg/L, NO3: 5mg/L,  NH3: 0mg/L,  GH: 18°dGH, KH: 15°dKH
    [b]11.03.06[/b] - pH: 8.0, NO2: 0.1mg/L, NO3: 5mg/L,  NH3: 0mg/L,  GH: 17°dGH, KH: 13°dKH
    [b]14.03.06[/b] - pH: 8.0, NO2: 0.1mg/L, NO3: 5mg/L,  NH3: 0mg/L,  GH: 17°dGH, KH: 13°dKH
    [b]21.03.06[/b] - pH: 8.0, NO2: 0.2mg/L, NO3: 10mg/L, NH3: 0.3mg/L, GH: 16°dGH, KH: 14°dKH

Has my cycle just begun? Half way? Nearing the end?

Thanks for your input in advance :-\

2. JasonWell Known MemberMember

If this is going to be a freshwater tank you might want to up the temperature. also because the bacteria grows faster at higher temps. Probably round 24C-28C would be good. Your cycle seems to have started and your pretty much at the beginning.

Your ammonia (NH3) will rise up tp a max of 5-8ppm, then will go down as your Nitrite increases to around 6-10 then go down and Nitrate will rise t above 10. Seems you've got a few weeks to go yet as ammonia and nitrite are very low. Probably need to add some more ammonia to your tank either pure or more food, say once a day not every couple of days. So the bacteria will grow and multiply with the extra food.

Good Luck and Welcome to fishlore!

3. NoSCONew MemberMember

Thank you for your reply :)

I've wound the temperature up to 30C, hopefully that'll help things along a little, and added more food, and I'll keep feeding on a daily basis and see where that gets us!

Incidentally, does having the hood light on or off make a difference for bacterial growth? It spends most of its time off at the moment.

We've already had a bacterial bloom (day 2 of the tank I believe).

4. vinWell Known MemberMember

It would help to have the light on if you have a planted tank, but if the plants are artificial, I don't think it makes a difference.

5. JasonWell Known MemberMember

I recommend that you get live plants as they help break down the toxins, create oxygen hiding places etc. and overall look good. Then you can leave the light on, but i would anyway just to get used to the day night, on off thingy schedule

6. NoSCONew MemberMember

Thank you to everyone who has replied :)

Is it possible I have missed my ammonia spike? I last tested 0100hrs 21/03, with the following results:

Code:
    21.03.06 - pH: 8.0, NO2: 0.2mg/L, NO3: 10mg/L, NH3: 0.3mg/L, GH: 16°dGH, KH: 14°dKH

Today, at 0000hrs 24/03, I have these results:

Code:
    24.03.06 - pH: 8.0, NO2: 0.8mg/L, NO3: 20mg/L, NH3: 0.0mg/L, GH: 16°dGH, KH: 13°dKH

*slightly confused* ???

Only thing I have changed is to increase my feeding regime (more food, more often), and raised the tank temp to 30C to speed up the cycle.

7. chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

Looks like you might have.

Welcome to Fishlore.com.

Rose
    :)