How is my aquarium light set up working?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Christian42967, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Christian42967

Christian42967 New Member Member

I've got a 20 gallon long tank with 4 temple compacta plants an anubias plant an Amazon sword and a moss ball. My light setup is rather unusual since I have 2 desk lamps above my tank with a 60 watt incandescent light on each lamp. I know incandescents aren't the greatest idea since they are known to cause algae problems but I guess ive gotten lucky and haven't gotten much algae aside from the small patches of brown algae. I have 4 mollies and 3 ghost shrimp. My plants have grown from having 2 little tiny brown leaves(temple) to much larger and more bushy bright green leaves. The Amazon seems to grow extremely fast too. My anubias grows a new leave about every 2 weeks also. I use dirt underneath my gravel in case that helps. Thanks guys

2. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Incandescents aren't bad lights, the only potential problem I can think of is the heat output possibly causing temperature fluctuations. Other than that though you can get them in the right spectra to grow plants:)

I figure if your plants are growing and you don't have algae issues then things are going alright!

3. OP
    OP
    Christian42967

Christian42967 New Member Member

Sometimes but not always I will see the temp go from 78 to 80. Will that stress them out?

Should I raise them a big higher perhaps?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2016
  4. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

That's not a huge swing in temperature so I wouldn't worry. If you're concerned though you can try raising them slightly. If your plants suffer, move them back:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice