How Is My 75 Gallon Stocking Plan? Question

1. C

CMB Valued Member Member

I am working on planning out a 75 gallon tank, and I have gone through several stocking plans. It is almost time to get fish (Yay!), so at this point I am going to have to figure out what I want to do. Here is roughly what I am thinking about:
    AquStockImage.png

I am mostly happy with this plan, but I have few questions. First, is it possible that the tetra fish can coexist with my larger fish, or will they get eaten? Second, is the tank overstocked? I wanted my stocking to be closer to 80 percent, because I don't want to have to be on top of my water parameters all of the time, but it just doesn't seem to be working out that way. Will a stock of almost 90% (on AqAdvisor) be hard to manage?

Lastly, I want a relatively small fish (like cardinal tetras) that is very colorful, and that I can have a huge school in. I like cardinal tetras, but I was wondering what my other options might be. Can anyone think of a small (2-3 inch), very colorful schooling fish that I could add a huge school of into my tank?

Any other suggestions or criticisms would also be appreciated. I want to make sure that I end up with a beautiful, healthy aquarium. :)

2. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

I think rumnynose are better than cardinals as they school together more and sort of do that thing where they all move together.

3. OP
    OP
    C

CMB Valued Member Member

Thank you for your suggestion. I was thinking that my tank really needed a bit of color, and that a bunch of tiny fish might add this (also, my mother really wants some "neon" fish for the tank). How colorful do Rummynose tetras look in a planted tank, with dim lighting? Also, how many could I add to my current stock, if I used them to replace the Cardinals? I love how rummynoses school, I'm just not sure if they are what I am looking for. I feel like, as it is, my tank will not be colorful enough.

4. DarkOne

DarkOne Well Known Member Member

Is your 75g cycled? What filter are you using? Aqadvisor can give you a good general idea of stocking but its not definitive. If you're not set on the platy and gourami, I would skip them and do 15-20 cardinals and 15-20 rummynose tetras.

Rummynose tetras are a bit more sensitive so drip acclimate them for 2+ hrs if you get them.

Here's my school of 15 in a 40b
    2018-05-17 18.02.56.jpg

5. OP
    OP
    C

CMB Valued Member Member

My 75 isn't cycled, it doesn't even have water in it yet :). I will be starting the quarantine tank first (the rest of the stuff I need to set it up and cycle it should be here on Friday). I don't have my filter yet, but I will be getting a canister filter (probably a Cascade for a 100 gallon, but I'm not sure). I like your stocking plan, but I don't know if I am willing to give up the Pearl Gouramis (I've heard such great things about their personalities), and my mom loves the Mickey Mouse Platys (it will be a family tank). I will definitely give your plan some thought though, since it sounds beautiful. Nice tank, by the way. :) Does the black gravel make the colors of the rummynoses brighter?

6. RainBetta

RainBetta Well Known Member Member

I love your stocking! It sounds perfect to me! I love having a massive school of cardinals/neons

7. OP
    OP
    C

CMB Valued Member Member

Thanks! I can't wait to get it set up. :)