How In The World Do I Stock My First Community Tank?

1. Steveybee

Steveybee Valued Member Member

So I have a 45gallon that's just about cycled I had an idea for what I was going to stock it with but due to some healthy debate in another thread I've thrown out that idea completely.

What is a good stocking suggestion I would like to have at least one angelfish and I have no idea what else. I'd prefer color if possible :)

What's a good centerpiece fish if not the angel? Any colorful schoolers that go well with other centerpiece fish?

2. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

What are the dimensions of the tank?

3. OP
    OP
    Steveybee

36" Long x 24" High x 12" Wide

4. FishFish221

How about this (other members correct me if there are any flaws):
    1 Angelfish
    2 Bolivian Rams
    10 Rummynose Tetras
    8 Sterbai Corydoras

Edit: Forgot about Bolivian Ram and Angelfish Temperature compatibility

5. OP
    OP
    Steveybee

I was told that Bolivians and angelfish aren't temperature compatible and that Bolivians thrive at temperatures too low for angels

6. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

I'd do:
    1 Angelfish
    2 German Blue Rams
    8 Colombian Tetras
    8 Lemon Tetras
    I don't like bottom dwellers, so I added in another midlevel school.

7. FishFish221

Okay, maybe this? (other members correct me if there are any flaws):
    1 Angelfish
    2 German Blue Rams
    10 Rummynose Tetras
    8 Sterbai Corydoras

8. OP
    OP
    Steveybee

I do like that but are GBR difficult? This is my first big tank

9. MattS99

I've had my GBR since April. After hearing about them, I was a little intimidated at first, but my guy's been no trouble for me at all.

10. FishFish221

Not really difficult, just sensative (guess that will make that difficult :joyful:). As long as the nitrite & ammonia stay at 0 ppm and the nitrate stays below 20 ppm, they should be fine.

11. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

GBRs aren't that difficult. The stock mentioned by FishFish the second time around is fine, though there is room for another school, like 8 cardinal or black neon tetras, imo.

12. OP
    OP
    Steveybee

So I do like this so how about:

1 angelfish
    2 German blue rams
    10 lemon tetras (not a huge rummynose fan)
    8 panda corys (they're the cutest imo)

Could a dwarf gourami work too? Or maybe 2 or 3 mollies?

What order should I introduce them?

13. MattS99

Pandas aren't temp. compatible with the rest. You can do sterbais, or c. aenus I think.

14. OP
    OP
    Steveybee

Shoot alrighty live aquaria said the temp ranges overlap but it's probably not ideal

15. Mike1995

Mike1995 Well Known Member Member

if you want some meat little schooling fish, maybe some cherry or gold barbs? They aren't really the nippy type. And super active.

16. MattS99

Responding to your last question: I'm not sure about mollies, and I don't trust dwarf gouramis, they're vicious. You could add another school of warm water tetras, though. Any you like?

17. OP
    OP
    Steveybee

Every tip I fall in love with a tetra they're fin nippers or angelfish snacks. I did like congos but they're $$$.

And really I thought gourami would be docile?

What about a female betta I've seen them in tanks with tons of stuff or swordtails?

18. MattS99

I've only seen dwarfs kill things. Honey gouramis might work, not sure how they are with angels though. Honeys are VERY docile. I wouldn't put a betta with an angel.

19. OP
    OP
    Steveybee

Cherry barbs are gorgeous but the LFS guy said they're little biters I guess it's on a tank by tank basis? What's making this process so difficult is the lack of consistent information so I appreciate all your help I really do. If you think they won't tear the angel apart I would get cherry barbs tomorrow lol

20. Mike1995

Mike1995 Well Known Member Member

swordtails tend to be a little aggressive.

I have a school of 10 cherry barbs in my community tank. for me they haven't given me any problems. They do chase each other but from my personal experience anything bigger than them they usually leave them alone