How i got into this hobby

fishplace

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ok so i just started in a lot of mess not knowing what to do i have been in this hobby for months. and i have never said how i got into this really cool hobby, so here is the story.

so i was going to the 2018 lucuas conten fair and there was this normal feeder goldfish stand that you throw the balls into a cup of water and if you make it you get a goldfish well i saw them and was like "awww those poor fish" and i really wanted one because i felt bad for them. so i payed the 1$ and played long story short i falled. but the guy that was working there said " here is 3 tickets come back later and i will give you a fish" it was like a drug deal but with fish. and i came back later and he gave me two fish and i named them guppy and lucky. i went home with my grandpa and i grabed like 40$ almost all of my money. and we drove to peco and spent all of it on this really crapy one gallon tank and some rocks i knew nothing about fish. i set up the tank and it said for the decolanaty to wait one hour and so i set a timer 30 min in my grandpa was already putting the fish in the tanks. and before i new it the fish were aready in the tank. (frist mistake) and then all i had was beeta food so i feed them that. (2 mistakes so far) but the next day we went to petco and i got decor food but them after a few days they died. i was not going to just give up i did resreach A LOT i even filled out like 80 pg in my fish book. and my b-day was coming up so i asked for a bigger tank and put away my old one, long story short i got a 29 gallon tank i did not jump into the hobby i waited for the tank to be ok and got plants and learned a lot about this hobby.

i am still learning a lot of stuff today and hopefully this ok

ps:i know i spelled a few things wrong i am to lazy to fix them

lilirose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This sounds exactly like what happened to me, except in my case the fair was in 1982 (or possibly 1981?). I've been in the hobby ever since, with a long hiatus when I moved to a different continent, but I'm back again!

None of my fair fish lived more than a few days, but in the years since then I've had many tanks and many fish and a lot of fun! I didn't have the internet to help me so I made a ton of mistakes, I can only imagine how wonderful it would be to start over with all this knowledge readily available rather than having to depend on the guy at the fish shop for advice (hint: they almost never give good advice!).

fishplace

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
lilirose said:
This sounds exactly like what happened to me, except in my case the fair was in 1982 (or possibly 1981?). I've been in the hobby ever since, with a long hiatus when I moved to a different continent, but I'm back again!

None of my fair fish lived more than a few days, but in the years since then I've had many tanks and many fish and a lot of fun! I didn't have the internet to help me so I made a ton of mistakes, I can only imagine how wonderful it would be to start over with all this knowledge readily available rather than having to depend on the guy at the fish shop for advice (hint: they almost never give good advice!).
yeah well that is crazy i am new to this hobby but try my best i mean we all do and most pet stores don't give good advice and hopefully you can lrean more about fish and have a lot of fun

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom