Question How I do I disinfect my live plants?

chippygal

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have some planaria, and these other critters that came in on some driftwood and I think pond snails that came with a 100% guaranteed snail free plant LOL.
I'm going to go ahead and crash the tank and start all over with a larger tank, gravel I'm just gonna throw away as I wanted to change to sand anyway, I boiled the wood and castle so they would be safe to reuse. I would sooner not throw the plants hence my question.
I've read to use salt or peroxide but I'm unsure on ratio and if it will work on these problems (any hiding snail eggs).

Any and all help will be much appreciated.

marine590622

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Straight peroxide should kill the planaria and snail eggs but some of the plants may melt.

OP
C

chippygal

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok Thanks

The other critters maybe copepods would it work on them too.

marine590622

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I believe so but can not speak from personal experience as I can with the planaria and snail eggs.

iRun

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
There is also a product called potassium permanganate, or simply permanganate. I have never used it, but I have seen it discussed during my searches for plant safe disinfection options. Anybody have any experience with that?

shelleyd2008

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Won't the fish eat all those things? Maybe not the snails, but I've been told they are easy to 'catch' and there are some fish that will eat them.

You can use a mixture of alum and water to 'clean' your plants when you get them. It will kill any snails or eggs that may be on them. I sure wish I would have remembered to do that...but assassin snails are kind of cool too

OP
C

chippygal

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
marine590622 iRun Thank you
Much appreciated.

OP
C

chippygal

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
shelleyd2008
My guppies probably would but I moved them to a larger tank as they are pregnant. I'm thinking they were and that's why I hadn't seen them sooner, other critters came with driftwood I added a few days ago. Tank has been empty for about 4 or 5 days then I noticed this stuff yesterday. I was gonna use it as a QT or emergency tank, but have decided to start over with larger tank but I did want to put live plants in new tank but don't want to transfer critters.
I have no clue what the snail is guessing pond as I've read that's normally the one. I have just posted a different thread to try and ID him first.
Thanks

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I use the potassium permanganate dip on my plants and it's very mild compared to bleach or h2o2. It kills snails quickly, although I haven't tried it on snail eggs yet.

Berylla

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You can buy it at Walmart in their pet section:

Jungle Clear Water:

OP
C

chippygal

Reaction score
Experience