How I bred my corydoras

erinw347

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I just wanted to make a thread about breeding corydoras - my experience and what to expect!

For starters, here is my breeding couple. Female albino, male bronze.
649A75BA-ADAE-454B-BEDF-72993F755F89.jpeg

I do want to clarify that corydoras do not breed with other species. Albino and Bronze are the only differentiating corys that can breed, because albino corys are just a different color of bronze corys. They’re the same species. So when you’re looking to breed, get the same kind!

My female here seems to be plump with eggs again, I may get more babies soon :).

So I did not intentionally breed my corydoras, in fact, I was actually out of town for two nights and came back to the cory eggs. However, if you are looking to breed corys, they are fairly easy to condition.
First off, like breeding all other fish, you want to feed them live and frozen foods. I also noticed that my corys seem to be uncomfortable when nitrates are over 20ppm, so fréquent water changes will help too.
Next, in the wild, corydoras will lay eggs when they get cold rain. So when doing water changes, replace the water with slightly cool water (around 65F should be good), this will replicate their natural breeding habitat.
You may also want to learn how to tell the gender of your corys. Females are typically bigger and plumper. Their bodies are proportionally “taller” and males are proportionally longer.
Finally, watch for breeding behavior. Males will chase females, and when they’re ready to lay eggs, they will perform the “T” position.

Eggs will likely be laid all over the tank. Mine were mostly on the walls, but they are often on plant leaves and hard scape as well. Corys will eat the eggs and fry, so if you want the best survival rate you should move the eggs to a breeding net or a grow out tank.

There are already threads on cory egg care, so I will stop here. Corydoras are the first (and only) fish I’ve bred, but I really do recommend them as a beginner breeding project. They are fairly easy to breed and raise the fry, but they’re a fun and challenging step up from livebearers. Feel free to add any info you’d like :)

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for all the info! Cories are one of the first breeding projects I want to tackle once the fish room is set up! Have your eggs hatched yet? Can you keep us posted on the progress of the fry?

OP
erinw347

erinw347

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
e_watson09 said:
Thanks for all the info! Cories are one of the first breeding projects I want to tackle once the fish room is set up! Have your eggs hatched yet? Can you keep us posted on the progress of the fry?
My fry are all grown up, they hatched back in December ;)
Here’s one of my little ones, he has no pectoral fins! I found that my first time cory parents had a lot of babies with birth defects, most being missing barbels. He’s definitely the runt of the litter, but he’s doing great and his missing fins don’t seem to phase him :)

Attachments

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
erinw347 said:
My fry are all grown up, they hatched back in December ;)
Here’s one of my little ones, he has no pectoral fins! I found that my first time cory parents had a lot of babies with birth defects, most being missing barbels. He’s definitely the runt of the litter, but he’s doing great and his missing fins don’t seem to phase him :)
Oh wow! That's awesome! Are you going to try to breed them anymore in the future?

OP
erinw347

erinw347

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
e_watson09 said:
Oh wow! That's awesome! Are you going to try to breed them anymore in the future?
I may... if they decide they want babies again, I’ll take care of them :)

New Threads