How high is too high KH for pygmy corys?

gabray47

I currently have four mystery snails in a 20-gallon freshwater. Right now, the GH is 11 and the KH is 9 and I'm trying to increase those levels for the snails by adding cuttlebone, which is working well. I also plan to add some pygmy corydoras soon. Is it okay to continue raising the GH and KH for the snails without adversely affecting the corys? Is there a level of GH and KH that is too high for corys?

Nopsu

You dont need any higher numbers for the snails, I raise mine to GH 6 and KH 4 (I have very soft water from tap). I got soft water fish and snails. Cories should do fine up to GH 18 but your current values will be fine for the fish and the snails

SparkyJones

I'm assuming you are talking about degrees GH and KH, being 11 and 9 respectively.

You don't want lower than 4 dGH or dKH, or higher than 20dGH or dKH.

Too hard or too soft will cause problems for the water chemistry and pH and that would affect your fish and snails.
GH is a measure of calcium and magnesium, ect.
KH is a measure of carbonates.
You don't really need high KH and your GH is fine at 11 for snails. You don't want either going below 4 dGH or dKH, otherwise you're fine.

They really don't have an effect on fish or animals, but it affects the water chemistry on the low side below 4, especially down to 2, risking depletion.
And on the high side getting calcium or carbonate deposit build ups on the tank

Where you are at is fine, and will be fine for a really long time without amending either.

gabray47

I'm assuming you are talking about degrees GH and KH, being 11 and 9 respectively.

You don't want lower than 4 dGH or dKH, or higher than 20dGH or dKH.

Too hard or too soft will cause problems for the water chemistry and pH and that would affect your fish and snails.
GH is a measure of calcium and magnesium, ect.
KH is a measure of carbonates.
You don't really need high KH and your GH is fine at 11 for snails. You don't want either going below 4 dGH or dKH, otherwise you're fine.

They really don't have an effect on fish or animals, but it affects the water chemistry on the low side below 4, especially down to 2, risking depletion.
And on the high side getting calcium or carbonate deposit build ups on the tank

Where you are at is fine, and will be fine for a really long time without amending either.
That helps a lot! I'm just learning and starting to stock. These measurements make sense to me, so thanks so much!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
LucilleLelant
Replies
Views
gabray47
  • Question
20 Gallon Tank My Kh and Gh And New Tank
Replies
Views
DogsOfWars