How High Are Everyone Else’s Nitrates? And How Do You Prevent Them From Getting High?

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by Reaganp1234, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Reaganp1234

Reaganp1234Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +42
    Experience:
    Just started
    I just checked my tank water with a testing kit and had no ammonia, no nitrite, and either 10–20 nitrate( it was really hard to tell). I know in a freshwater tank it should stay about 5-10ppm. I’m kinda frustrated because I have two aquaclear 70s running on my tank, along with extra sponge filters running in the tank. I also have a bunch of plants so you would think that my nitrates would be low right? I’m about to do a water change and I’m going to make sure my filters are rinsed out and changed before I go to my dads. The tank is a 40 breeder, and my fish are two fantail fancy Goldie’s. What are everyone else’s nitrates at?, and what do you guys do to keep them low?

2. Gundy1024

Gundy1024Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +99
    Experience:
    3 years
    My two 60 gallons are normally 10-20ppm before I do my water changes. I do weekly water changes of 20 gallon in both of these tanks. Sounds like you are doing just fine though. Normally you do not need to worry until they start to climb above 40ppm.

3. Goldiemom

GoldiemomWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,100
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    It drives me crazy when people set a general rule for any tank. Realistically, if you have less than 40 nitrates with goldfish, you are doing very well. A tank with 5ppm nitrates my be doable with tetras or small tropicals. As soon as I started reading your post, I knew you were going to say you had Goldies. It is almost impossible to have 5 or 10 nitrates with goldfish. Unless, of course, you are doing daily water changes. My nitrates go up to 40 about 3 days after doing a 50% water change. Every Weds and Sunday I do water changes.

4. OP
    OP
    Reaganp1234

Reaganp1234Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +42
    Experience:
    Just started
    Ah okay thank you for the reply. I was a little worried about them being slightly higher than wanted! I finally finished doing a full cleaning of my Goldie tank, which meant squeezing out all the muck from the sponges, and giving the filters a good rinse in tank water. Ugh it takes so long but the tank looks so clean after. I completely dirtied 4 out of my 5 buckets of tank water cleaning all that gunk out. It’s amazing how much stuff you can get out of them after a while 23] the filters never have too much stuff in them because I try to rinse them out every now and then. The sponges I rarely touch but I know they have to be squeezed out every couple of months or weeks. Well fishes are happy! And water parameters are clean/ healthy. So all is good!

5. Goldiemom

Ratings:
    +2,100
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Sounds great. Just don’t beat yourself up if you can’t get your nitrates to stay down. Been there and done that! Enjoy your Goldie’s. My favorite fish!

6. TheeLadyG

TheeLadyGWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +599
    Experience:
    1 year
    My current nitrates are 5.0 but I have 2 small young fancies in a 30 gal. As far as I know, the only way to take down nitrates is water changes... HOWEVER! for live aquarium plants (including algae) nitrates are food, if you have live plants it can help keep nitrates down. It's notoriously difficult to keep live plants with goldfish (they love to eat, dig, and fool with everything). I have 9 marimo algae balls, I'm not sure how much they're helping but they look cool and the fish aren't eating them (so far)

Also if you use tank water to water your house plants or garden, it will make them very happy!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  7. Goldiemom

Ratings:
    +2,100
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Thanks for the tip of on the house plants!

8. sassymomma

sassymommaWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,414
    Experience:
    4 years
    I hear that people use pothos to devour nitrates, but I personally can’t find the plant. They sit it in the top of the tank, in a hang on back filter, loaded with porous rock I believe?

I used hornwort in my 38, while I was wintering 4hand-sized pond goldfish. They ate it of course, but it grew quickly and sucked up the nitrates and ammonia between the biweekly water changes. I rinsed it in the water change buckets once a week. To remove gunk and loose needles.

My ammonia then was 0-.25, and nitrates were 10-20

9. Goldiemom

Ratings:
    +2,100
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    The pathos didn’t work with mine but the hornwort does lower it s little. My Goldie’s are all in excess of 4” without the tail too.

10. Goldfishgirlgirl

GoldfishgirlgirlWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +165
    Experience:
    Just started
    Unless u r overstocked and have a huge tank

Become a Fishlore Member